Hens not laying

matiportnoy

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2015
Hi!!! I have six hens, and no rooster. For the past few weeks, I have only been getting about one egg per day, and I had previosly been getting about 4 or sometimes even 5 eggs daily. Two of my hens stay in the nest all day together, and there are quite a few feathers in that area. The other 4 hens spend time in the run, as usual. However, egg laying has really decreased. My hens got mites, but I treated it and have not seen any more signs of this for a few weeks now, so I believe that is not a problem any longer.
I considered molting, but I am not sure if that happens to chickens here in Puerto Rico (where I live), since it is the tropics and one can barely feel winter. The weather does not get cold at all, but days do get shorter. Could this be causing this low egg production? Or is it something else? Thank you!!!

Chickens will always molt once a year so they are probably molting. But chickens need 14 hours of sunlight to lay an egg so they may not be getting enough sunlight.

Hi!!! I have six hens, and no rooster. For the past few weeks, I have only been getting about one egg per day, and I had previosly been getting about 4 or sometimes even 5 eggs daily. Two of my hens stay in the nest all day together, and there are quite a few feathers in that area. The other 4 hens spend time in the run, as usual. However, egg laying has really decreased. My hens got mites, but I treated it and have not seen any more signs of this for a few weeks now, so I believe that is not a problem any longer.
I considered molting, but I am not sure if that happens to chickens here in Puerto Rico (where I live), since it is the tropics and one can barely feel winter. The weather does not get cold at all, but days do get shorter. Could this be causing this low egg production? Or is it something else? Thank you!!!
Are they staying in the nest all night too?
They may be broody, wanting to hatch out some chicks.

They may also be resting, molting birds often rest/lounge around more when molting.

What is the protein level of the feed you are providing?
They need more protein when growing in new feathers.

I give them layer feed in pellets. Im not sure what the protein percent is. Those two chickens tend to stay in the nest. I see them in the run sometimes eating, and bring them out when I clean the coop. But they are almost always inside the coop on top of eggs on the nest. I had a broody chicken once already, and what I did was I removed her from the nest for many days until she finally stopped.

I give them layer feed in pellets. Im not sure what the protein percent is. Those two chickens tend to stay in the nest. I see them in the run sometimes eating, and bring them out when I clean the coop. But they are almost always inside the coop on top of eggs on the nest. I had a broody chicken once already, and what I did was I removed her from the nest for many days until she finally stopped.
Should say on the label...but maybe not required in your country.
Layer feed is usually minimum protein.

I'd want to know why those 2 birds are hiding from the flock.

Back
Top Bottom