Hens not laying

Are they on the nest at night too?  If so, they may be broody.

Are they on the nest at night too?  If so, they may be broody.

I believe they are in the nest all the time. They are always on top of the eggs when there are any. How do I break this broodiness? They are also quite agressive when I push them out. They peck and resist towards me. And then once they are out in the run they are quite mean to the other hens. The following photo is of these two chickens.

I believe they are in the nest all the time. They are always on top of the eggs when there are any. How do I break this broodiness? They are also quite agressive when I push them out. They peck and resist towards me. And then once they are out in the run they are quite mean to the other hens. The following photo is of these two chickens.
you can usually break them by placing them in a wire bottom cage (with food and water) up off the ground so they have air beneath them, you can use a dog kennel on blocks in the coop, usually takes a few days sometimes up to a week.

My experience went like this: After her setting for 3 days and nights in the nest, I put her in a wire dog crate with smaller wire on the bottom but no bedding, set up on a couple of 4x4's right in the coop and I would feed her some crumble a couple times a day.

I let her out a couple times a day and she would go out into the run, drop a huge turd, race around running, take a vigorous dust bath then head back to the nest... at which point I put her back in the crate. Each time her outings would lengthen a bit, eating, drinking and scratching more and on the 3rd afternoon she stayed out of the nest and went to roost that evening...event over, back to normal tho she didn't lay for another week or two.

Water nipple bottles added after pic was taken:

Definitely sounding like they are broody. @aart explained how to break them.

Back
Top Bottom