Hens not laying

Not sure why the entire flock would stop. But it is approaching Fall, and is I think a common time for birds to begin their molt and take a little break from laying. Usually this is the time of year when I start getting 1/3 of the eggs that I usually get.
It is also possible that your leghorn being aggressive and plucking feathers could be causing a lot of stress in their environment. Stress will decrease if not halt egg production.

I Stopped doing that because they leave a ton behind and would attract rodents. Chickens are chickens and obvi make a ton of mess

They still need enough to eat to keep up their nutrition and protein levels. Not having feed available while they're awake and a lot of veggie/fruit instead could drop their protein intake enough to affect laying, as eggs are protein packets.

Improving the feeder design to reduce waste and removing it at night would help with the rodent issue, while still giving them all the nutrition they need.

Your barebacked birds (photos would be swell) could be feather picking victims, which can be aggravated by low protein levels as well.

They still need enough to eat to keep up their nutrition and protein levels. Not having feed available while they're awake and a lot of veggie/fruit instead could drop their protein intake enough to affect laying, as eggs are protein packets.

Improving the feeder design to reduce waste and removing it at night would help with the rodent issue, while still giving them all the nutrition they need.

Your barebacked birds (photos would be swell) could be feather picking victims, which can be aggravated by low protein levels as well.
I will being going back to having their feeders with feed all the time. Thank you!

Don't pullets just have a juvenile molt then a full molt the next fall after they are one year?
Some pullets skip the molt their first fall/winter and continue laying throughout the winter. Some do not skip the molt their first season.

Reading different posts on here it's easy to come up with that misconception. Some people seem to really think that every chicken is exactly like every other chicken in the world, or that every chicken of a certain breed is just like every other chicken of that same breed. It doesn't work that way. Each chicken is an individual. They are all different. They are hatched at different times and raised in different conditions. We can tell you what might happen but we cannot tell you what will happen for sure.

Back
Top Bottom