Hens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nicandtroyintown, Apr 17, 2009.

1. nicandtroyintown

nicandtroyintown Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    OK chicken buffs, please help me out. I have five 6 month old hens and one 6 month old rooster. Despite having egg boxes for 1 1/2 months, we have no eggs. They are organically fed and get the right amount of protein. They get 12 hrs. of sunlight now. The temperature is 40-70 degrees.

Still, no eggs. And no sign of them laying ANYTHING. Will you please give me any tips to get them started???

Thanks!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    What breed are they? Some mature slower than others. Also, is there a possibility that they are hiding eggs?

ETA: Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. nicandtroyintown

nicandtroyintown Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello! Thanks for your response. They are Barred Plymouth Rocks. We have had them loose in the yard so I will investigate the possibility of hiding eggs.

Some of the hen's combs are more red and pronounced than others, so I guess they are closer to being layers?

Is there any possibility that the Rooster may be hindering them?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

And hens need a minimum of 14 hours daylight for reliable laying. We have a light coming on in the coop from 5 am- 8 am to achieve this. Having good luck! You're almost there...[​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Quote:If he is a source of undue stress - yes, indeed.

The pullets should be putting their feed nutrients into completing their growth and into egg production. If they are instead, not eating well, burning up a lot of calories, and healing from damage caused by testosterone-charged Mr. Roo . . . you can see how that will be counter-productive.

Steve

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Don`t be too quick to blame the rooster. It could be, but most likely egg production will commence any day. Heavy breeds sometimes take a little longer, so a little more patience will be rewarded. The pink faces are a good sign, so hang in there........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by