Hens not laying

nicandtroyintown

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
OK chicken buffs, please help me out. I have five 6 month old hens and one 6 month old rooster. Despite having egg boxes for 1 1/2 months, we have no eggs. They are organically fed and get the right amount of protein. They get 12 hrs. of sunlight now. The temperature is 40-70 degrees.

Still, no eggs. And no sign of them laying ANYTHING. Will you please give me any tips to get them started???

Thanks!

What breed are they? Some mature slower than others. Also, is there a possibility that they are hiding eggs?

ETA: Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for your response. They are Barred Plymouth Rocks. We have had them loose in the yard so I will investigate the possibility of hiding eggs.

Some of the hen's combs are more red and pronounced than others, so I guess they are closer to being layers?

Is there any possibility that the Rooster may be hindering them?

And hens need a minimum of 14 hours daylight for reliable laying. We have a light coming on in the coop from 5 am- 8 am to achieve this. Having good luck! You're almost there...
lol.png

Quote:
If he is a source of undue stress - yes, indeed.

The pullets should be putting their feed nutrients into completing their growth and into egg production. If they are instead, not eating well, burning up a lot of calories, and healing from damage caused by testosterone-charged Mr. Roo . . . you can see how that will be counter-productive.

Steve

Don`t be too quick to blame the rooster. It could be, but most likely egg production will commence any day. Heavy breeds sometimes take a little longer, so a little more patience will be rewarded. The pink faces are a good sign, so hang in there........Pop

Back
Top Bottom