1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens not laying

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sdetwiler333, Sep 10, 2014.

1. sdetwiler333

sdetwiler333 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    I got my birds last Sunday 9-7-14 they are 2 years old I have 6 hens and a rooster, but am only getting like 1 egg per day. I know the move can be stressful for them, & we just read this morning that I might not have been feeding them enough. Any ideas, input on hoe I can get them going again? You can search my other posts to find pics of the birds the coop etc. I am currently feeding them Nutreana layer feed 16/00 crumble along with some bread, lawn clippings etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's that time of year when many breeds slow down for winter and/or a molt. Just keep feeding good nutrition and wait them out. Most will start again once the days get longer again.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes moving can differently stress them out. Lack of food, water and calcium can also cause a drop in egg production. But molting, like gritsar, said, can also be the cause of this drop. Are there feathers laying around the coop? If so, then the chickens are molting. Don't expect eggs for at least a month.

4. sdetwiler333

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    I am not seeing feather laying about in the coop, and for the most part, they seem content.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Chickens do not like to be moved and can stop laying for a month. So keep them on a good diet, limit the treats for a while so they are eating properly, keep the stress down in and around the coop, move slowly around them and talk quietly to them. Go sit with them for 20 mins a day. Reassure them that all is well. They should start laying soon. However should they be going through a molt, then they can stop laying until they have regrown all their feathers.

Here is a nice thread on why my chickens are not laying that might help you out...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Enjoy your new flock! They should come around soon! :)

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

You've received some good advice already!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. sdetwiler333

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    Thank you, it's good to be here.

10. sdetwiler333

Aug 31, 2014
    Warsaw, IN
    Thanl you, I know I'll be spending a lot of time here. So much to learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by