Hens not laying

sdetwiler333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Warsaw, IN
I got my birds last Sunday 9-7-14 they are 2 years old I have 6 hens and a rooster, but am only getting like 1 egg per day. I know the move can be stressful for them, & we just read this morning that I might not have been feeding them enough. Any ideas, input on hoe I can get them going again? You can search my other posts to find pics of the birds the coop etc. I am currently feeding them Nutreana layer feed 16/00 crumble along with some bread, lawn clippings etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I got my birds last Sunday 9-7-14 they are 2 years old I have 6 hens and a rooster, but am only getting like 1 egg per day. I know the move can be stressful for them, & we just read this morning that I might not have been feeding them enough. Any ideas, input on hoe I can get them going again? You can search my other posts to find pics of the birds the coop etc. I am currently feeding them Nutreana layer feed 16/00 crumble along with some bread, lawn clippings etc. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
It's that time of year when many breeds slow down for winter and/or a molt. Just keep feeding good nutrition and wait them out. Most will start again once the days get longer again.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes moving can differently stress them out. Lack of food, water and calcium can also cause a drop in egg production. But molting, like gritsar, said, can also be the cause of this drop. Are there feathers laying around the coop? If so, then the chickens are molting. Don't expect eggs for at least a month.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chickens do not like to be moved and can stop laying for a month. So keep them on a good diet, limit the treats for a while so they are eating properly, keep the stress down in and around the coop, move slowly around them and talk quietly to them. Go sit with them for 20 mins a day. Reassure them that all is well. They should start laying soon. However should they be going through a molt, then they can stop laying until they have regrown all their feathers.

Here is a nice thread on why my chickens are not laying that might help you out...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Enjoy your new flock! They should come around soon! :)

Back
Top Bottom