1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens not producing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dick Scoggins, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dick Scoggins

Dick Scoggins New Egg

Dec 14, 2010
    i live in south-west texas. i have had hens for over 4 yrs. each year i would buy 3 doz more. last january i bought 3 doz and my older were giving me @ 2doz per day. as summer came they slowed to about 1doz (heat) then in sept down to 6 eggs. then oct one or two. since the first of nov none to one egg. i have tried light, better feed,. you name it i have tried it. even the new hens now 10 months old aren't producing. the older ones are not loosing fethers (moth)

2. Cowgirlgrace

Cowgirlgrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You should maybe post this in the Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying forum

3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    [​IMG]

Hopefully someone with more chicken experience than I have will be able to give you some answers. Our seven 8-9 month old girls have been laying 6 eggs a week since they started laying but all of a sudden this past week have gone on strike. I'm hoping that it is just the season! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Have you checked for any signs of stress? Illness?

The four year olds sound like they're just simply getting old though. . . Most chickens come from production stock, which only lasts an average 3 years, then stop their production or slow it down dramatically.

The new, younger ones may just be slowing down because it is that time of year, or they're doing a "silent" molt. (Some birds stop laying or slow down their laying weeks before they molt, then while molting, it happens quite quickly and you don't really notice any feather loss. . .)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by