hens not using nesting box

backyardbirdman

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
Okay so i have one of my silkies at laying age now and my barred rock bantam, for some reason i found that the eggs that mr BR lays are in the nesting box but the ones from my silkie are not i lowered my box and put even more straw in but she still insists on laying in the wood chips, maybe its because i dont have a lip on my boxes? I just need some help thanks in advance.

i would like a solution too. i have some pullets laying in the "forbidden nest" which is under the nest boxes... its such a pain when theyre not in the boxes

The simple answer might be that she likes wood chips. Actually, I like wood chips in nesting boxes too :) Easy to clean out with a kitty litter scoop. As far as the hen laying under the boxes - it's likely darker there. Hens like to lay in semi-darkness. Also, it might be it feels more protected. A smaller hen might feel safer laying in a spot that the bigger hens can't squeeze into. Look at the nesting boxes from her your hens' perspective and adjust accordingly.

Maybe ill give that a try, the barred rock is always seeming to want to kick the straw out of the boxes maybe ill just put a lip on there first and see what happens

We raised our three girls (buff, sexlink, wyandotte) from chicks. We've had them for three months now. They're still not laying though I've read that maybe they're still too young. However, I'm interested in the idea that they might not like their nest since it has a window on the front of it and, therefore, lets in light. I did that since I've read that they need more light in winter (true?). Do you think, judging from the picture, that they might benefit from a shade/blind in there?

Your pullets won't lay until they are 20 to 24 weeks old. Patience! :) It's really important for hens to have light and ventilation in their coops. Your small housing is really just a covered nesting box, but it's still good to have light. However, hens don't like to lay where sun shines directly in their faces.

Back
Top Bottom