Hens on strike?

I guess if they dont start laying again soon, the chickens themselves will be quite delicious.

Are you positive a big ole snake (or several) is not getting the eggs? When you are home during the day, listen for somebody's egg song, just to help verify that they are not laying. Also, are their combs pale? Seems pretty odd to me that you have gone so long without getting anything. They are healthy I presume? No way a neighbor could be helping themselves?
You may need to consider changing their diet to more protein, and make sure cool water is available all the time. Chickens need water to develop eggs, and in the summertime, they may not really get enough.

I'm having a similar issue and though it was just "Texas". But, I'm near teh coast and out temps aren't in the 100's. My girls are all less than a year old and I was getting 10 eggs a day until 3 weeks ago. Then, only the EE's were laying (3-4 eggs a day) and now I am getting 2 eggs a day. I've been searching all the bushes and can't find anything. I heard that "molt" can cause them to stop, but they are not going through a severe molt...only loosing a few small feather here and there. In the meantime, I also had 1 hen go broody and I've kept her in the coop where she sits. My flcok is all free-range...10 laying hens and 9 pullets that aren't quite there yet.

Anyone else in TX have hens on strike? Could is be mosquitos? High humidity+heat? Time of year?

Last edited:
Mine slowed recently. I discovered mites on them. I dusted them over the weekend and they are already laying more like normal. Hav e you checked for lice or mites?

Mine slowed recently. I discovered mites on them. I dusted them over the weekend and they are already laying more like normal. Hav e you checked for lice or mites?

Yep, checked them and they are clean. I used sevin dust 3 weeks ago, followed up a week later with DE, and then DE again in the dust bath areas. They are clean as whistles. Someone told me that it might be the daylength now...gettign shorter. My flock is free range, and I don't use artificial light. Would that be it?

I'm having a similar issue and though it was just "Texas". But, I'm near teh coast and out temps aren't in the 100's. My girls are all less than a year old and I was getting 10 eggs a day until 3 weeks ago. Then, only the EE's were laying (3-4 eggs a day) and now I am getting 2 eggs a day. I've been searching all the bushes and can't find anything. I heard that "molt" can cause them to stop, but they are not going through a severe molt...only loosing a few small feather here and there. In the meantime, I also had 1 hen go broody and I've kept her in the coop where she sits. My flcok is all free-range...10 laying hens and 9 pullets that aren't quite there yet.

Anyone else in TX have hens on strike? Could is be mosquitos? High humidity+heat? Time of year?
My hens have not even laid first egg. It's too hot I am thinking.

Back
Top Bottom