Hens only

LunaMoon

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2022
First time chicken mama. We got 12 chicks back in March. 3 of them ended up being roosters- crowing, much larger, huge combs and waddles. They were overpowering the 9 hens. I rehomed the 3 roosters last night. My 9 remaining hens seem much calmer & happier so far. Will I regret getting rid of the Roos? They just seemed aggressive- especially one of them.

In a word...unless you planned to raise chicks from these hens...No. You will not regret getting rid of the boys...and neither will the girls. Peace will instead reign.

I like to hatch for a self sustaining flock, so I keep extremely sweet roos (2 of them). They can be a mild deterrent to predators (crying out as they watch for hawks), but they can also simply be the first to run. Mine are gentlemen with the ladies, but I've had some feather damage from mating. They always have a favorite that seems over mated. So, I'm happy with my self sustaining flock now, but I've also had years of happy hen only flocks just fine.

So only if you wanted fertile eggs will you regret your decision.

LofMc

if they were being aggressive at such a young age then they would have become even more aggressive the older they got and if they were harassing your hens then it was for the best.
Ugh yes this makes me feel better! The one ran even after my 4 year old daughter. Made me very nervous.

In a word...unless you planned to raise chicks from these hens...No. You will not regret getting rid of the boys...and neither will the girls. Peace will instead reign.

I like to hatch for a self sustaining flock, so I keep extremely sweet roos (2 of them). They can be a mild deterrent to predators (crying out as they watch for hawks), but they can also simply be the first to run. Mine are gentlemen with the ladies, but I've had some feather damage from mating. They always have a favorite that seems over mated. So, I'm happy with my self sustaining flock now, but I've also had years of happy hen only flocks just fine.

So only if you wanted fertile eggs will you regret your decision.

LofMc
Thank you for easing my mind!

Ugh yes this makes me feel better! The one ran even after my 4 year old daughter. Made me very nervous.

If you ever in the future desire to keep a rooster (for fertile eggs), NEVER ever keep an aggressive one. They are born either docile or aggressive, and you see that from the very start.

I cull (kill) the aggressive ones, and I keep only the sweetest, most gentle, who take good care of my ladies, give me an abundant supply of chicks when I need them, and let me pick them up any time I want. Nobody EVER runs at me, the dog (though he deserves it at times), or cat, and definitely no child. Good roosters do not act that way from chickhood.

LofMc

If you ever in the future desire to keep a rooster (for fertile eggs), NEVER ever keep an aggressive one. They are born either docile or aggressive, and you see that from the very start.

I cull (kill) the aggressive ones, and I keep only the sweetest, most gentle, who take good care of my ladies, give me an abundant supply of chicks when I need them, and let me pick them up any time I want. Nobody EVER runs at me, the dog (though he deserves it at times), or cat, and definitely no child. Good roosters do not act that way from chickhood.

LofMc
Good to know. Thank you!

It was the right decision to get rid of them.

I know it can be hard, but it seems like it was definitely the right choice in this situation, as they were being aggressive.

I’ve had cockerels that were fighting with me, the hens, each other… it was pure chaos and I had to say goodbye. I don’t regret it, even though it was hard.

If you ever want a rooster, make sure it is SWEET! I didn’t think I’d ever have a rooster, but then along came Eclipse.

We had bought three silkies to add to the flock. A black, grey, and buff one. We handled them well, and we could quickly tell that Eclipse, the black one, was male, while the other two were female.

We didn’t want a rooster, but we decided to keep him until he got aggressive. He stayed. He’s a year old now and hasn’t ever been mean. The worst he’s done is try to mate my boots :D

He’s so sweet, and doesn’t mind being held or even given baths.

Basically, don’t keep bad roosters. If you want a rooster, though, just keep an eye out for a gem… if it’s a good rooster, keep it! (If you are able)

Just some pictures of Eclipse.
DC0DEEE4-78A3-42E1-91AD-410F49EBED83.jpeg

Attachments

• 421E5216-7C8B-4DBA-B24B-FD1C2149EA2A.jpeg
    421E5216-7C8B-4DBA-B24B-FD1C2149EA2A.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 1
  • F1D54DB5-7D76-4629-9490-638C1CD9A02F.jpeg
    F1D54DB5-7D76-4629-9490-638C1CD9A02F.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 536322A9-0041-464D-8C58-DF147312F397.jpeg
    536322A9-0041-464D-8C58-DF147312F397.jpeg
    881.2 KB · Views: 1