Hens or roos? Breed?

slendsl

In the Brooder
May 11, 2022
20220605_130457.jpg
20220605_130339.jpg
I am having trouble with these two. If I remember correctly they were sold as Easter Eggers. They are 14-15 weeks old. My other rooster was crowing by this age. These two are not (and they are making more what i would call hen type noises), but they have what I would consider Saddle feathers and they look significantly different from my other Easter Eggers. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Take this with a grain of salt because I’m not used to Easter Eggers but bird #1 looks like a hen to me and so does #2 but it’s a little harder to tell without a clear photo of the hackle and saddles feathers.

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m not used to Easter Eggers but bird #1 looks like a hen to me and so does #2 but it’s a little harder to tell without a clear photo of the hackle and saddles feather

Take this with a grain of salt because I’m not used to Easter Eggers but bird #1 looks like a hen to me and so does #2 but it’s a little harder to tell without a clear photo of the hackle and saddles feathers.
The hackles and saddle feathers look almost identical on each bird, just a little different in color/ markings. Thank you so much for your reply.

Hens have saddle feathers too -- but they're shorter and rounder instead long and pointed.

Sometimes a color pattern can make them look pointed when they're really round. Put your hand or a piece of paper under them to show the true shape (it's also good for black or white birds where the shape gets lost in the color):

0604221005a_HDR.jpg

Hens have saddle feathers too -- but they're shorter and rounder instead long and pointed.

Sometimes a color pattern can make them look pointed when they're really round. Put your hand or a piece of paper under them to show the true shape (it's also good for black or white birds where the shape gets lost in the color):

View attachment 3137364
Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom