Hens or Roos - various breeds

mon2405

Hatching
Nov 23, 2016
Hi everyone!

Can you please look at the photos and let me know which of my babies are hens/roos? They're about 8 weeks old.

Thanks

Aussie 2 is a pullet. Aussie 1 and RIR are Roos. I'm not familiar with Sussex. Oh and Plymouth Rock has a good bit of red comb but could you get a better pic so we can see his feathers better?

welcome-byc.gif

First bird is a cockerel. Second bird is a pullet. third, I'm leaning toward cockerel, but not positive. The red bird looks like a pullet, and I'm again not positive on the grey bird.

How positive are you on age?

Where did they come from? Besides the Aussies, I think the rest of them are mixed breed birds. The barred bird has greyish legs, and the thick legs, overall build and pattern of the barring put me in mind of a mixed breed cockerel.

The red bird has white legs, so not a Rhode Island. It looks considerably smaller than the others? Not looking male at this point.

The grey bird isn't a Sussex, they have white/pink shanks and are white birds (Colombian colored). This bird puts me in mind of maybe a lavender Orpington? If so, it could be a cockerel, as they can be pretty slow to announce gender.

Are you in the US?

need better photos - background is too dark so that bird doesn't show up distinctly. Also helps a lot if one bird per picture and to see them in natural standing profile

Austrolourp pic 1,is likely a rooster.Plymouth rock might be a boy,but I would give her some time.As for the Rhode island red,it looks like a rooster with all the comb and color,and the Sussex might be apullet but I see some waddle and etc.Austrolourp pic 1 is some other black breed,if it was a austrolourp,its comb wouldnt be black,but it looks like a pullet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom