hens or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bluestem acres, Nov 17, 2010.

1. bluestem acres

bluestem acres New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Eudora
    We got end of the season sale chicks from my pet chicken. They were supposed to be sexed as hens but I think some are suspect. Do I have roos or hens? I am new to chickens so I cant tell yet. They are around 13 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also what breed am I?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Need to see pics...

3. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Starting from the top you have

Sultan or White Polish hen
    Partridge Cochin hen
    Speckled Sussex hen
    Ancona hen
    Goldenlaced Polish rooster ( saddled feathers are the giveaway)
    Silver Spangled Hamberg ( probably a rooster)
    Easter Egger hen

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree BUT the first I think is a Splash (there are some Black feathers in her back close to the tail) and is a Polish.

Chris

5. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    What a variety! I agree that there's are SS hamburg and polish roos in there. I have an EE pullet from MPC that looks just like your last photo! Also, that black and white bird there in the background looks like it might resemble my mystery chicken. Don't suppose it has a rose comb and clean legs?
    Congrats on such gorgeous birds!

6. bluestem acres

bluestem acres New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    Eudora
    Thanks everyone for the help. The 1st polish I believe is a splash as it is getting older it is getting a few dark feathers on its back. All in all MPC sent 15 different breeds out of 25 chicks. I have a rainbow of chickens at the moment. From the 1st post I think believe the black and white chick in the background is an ancona.

7. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:I agree BUT the first I think is a Splash (there are some Black feathers in her back close to the tail) and is a Polish.

Chris

I saw that two but I dont have any experience with polish and didnt know if the whites may have a few black spots in them from Dom White. and the pic is shadowed so it was hard to tell. I know a couple that go to our local sale pretty often and they bred a Silver Laced roo on Buff laced hens and the offspring looked like that, white with black spots, from the Buff laced having Dom White.

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Which one are you talking about ? The main one in the forth pic is an Ancona pullet.

In the top right corner of the third pic I can see that you have a hen and roo of the Silver Spangled Hambergs so the one in the sixth pic is a roo no that I can compare the wattles to the pullet in the background of the third pic.

9. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    1 roo rest are hens

10. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    no need to add anthing rareroo said it all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by