hens or roos?

bluestem acres

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 17, 2010
Eudora
We got end of the season sale chicks from my pet chicken. They were supposed to be sexed as hens but I think some are suspect. Do I have roos or hens? I am new to chickens so I cant tell yet. They are around 13 weeks old.

Also what breed am I?

Last edited:
Starting from the top you have

Sultan or White Polish hen
Partridge Cochin hen
Speckled Sussex hen
Ancona hen
Goldenlaced Polish rooster ( saddled feathers are the giveaway)
Silver Spangled Hamberg ( probably a rooster)
Easter Egger hen

Quote:
I agree BUT the first I think is a Splash (there are some Black feathers in her back close to the tail) and is a Polish.

Chris

What a variety! I agree that there's are SS hamburg and polish roos in there. I have an EE pullet from MPC that looks just like your last photo! Also, that black and white bird there in the background looks like it might resemble my mystery chicken. Don't suppose it has a rose comb and clean legs?
Congrats on such gorgeous birds!

Thanks everyone for the help. The 1st polish I believe is a splash as it is getting older it is getting a few dark feathers on its back. All in all MPC sent 15 different breeds out of 25 chicks. I have a rainbow of chickens at the moment. From the 1st post I think believe the black and white chick in the background is an ancona.

Quote:
I agree BUT the first I think is a Splash (there are some Black feathers in her back close to the tail) and is a Polish.

Chris

I saw that two but I dont have any experience with polish and didnt know if the whites may have a few black spots in them from Dom White. and the pic is shadowed so it was hard to tell. I know a couple that go to our local sale pretty often and they bred a Silver Laced roo on Buff laced hens and the offspring looked like that, white with black spots, from the Buff laced having Dom White.

Quote:
Which one are you talking about ? The main one in the forth pic is an Ancona pullet.

In the top right corner of the third pic I can see that you have a hen and roo of the Silver Spangled Hambergs so the one in the sixth pic is a roo no that I can compare the wattles to the pullet in the background of the third pic.

Back
Top Bottom