Hens or roosters and maybe some help with ages

That questionable BR definitely doesn't look like a hen. You'll notice the skinny feathers on his neck.

I just helped cull 4 roos last weekend. They were 7 mos and none had serious spurs yet - the longest were about 1/2" at best.

Spur nubs will start to grow a bit around 16-18 weeks, but they won't become actual good sized spurs until the bird is over 6 months old. I have had roosters whose spurs didn't really take off until they were around a year old even.

Last edited:
Quote:
Ameraucanas are similar to Araucana chickens because both have pea combs and lay blue shelled eggs, but they have many differences and are completely different breeds. Ameraucana traits include full tails, muffs, beards, and slate or black legs depending on the variety. Bantam cocks weigh 30 ounces and bantam hens weigh 26 ounces while large fowl cocks weigh 6½ pounds and large fowl hens weigh 5½ pounds.

The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken, or Easter Egger, as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed description as defined in the APA standards. Further, even if a bird (that possesses the blue egg gene) meets an APA standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50% of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken. The American Poultry Association's American Standard of Perfection contains breed and variety descriptions of all recognized standard breed poultry in North America. This means if your bird does not meet a color requirement, it is in Easter Egger.

Quote:
Some hens do have spurs. But NO hens have hackles like his. That's what makes this not a "maybe" situation.

I know you mentioned your EE has pointy hackles. The color pattern around the neck so very typical in EEs creates an optical illusion of pointed feathers. If you hold an individual feather and look closely, though, the ends are actually round and the entire feather is noticeably wider.

I've scanned this whole post and don't see it mentioned that one of the early differences between barred rocks roos and hens is the coloring. The lighter one is a roo. They do look at POL and that varies but is usually around 20 wks but varies. I can't help you with the red except to say it is a hen.

hens can have spurs. just because there is a spur bump doesnt mean its a roo, all chickens have spur bumps. these bumps on hens can eaither stay as bumps or grow to be nice spurs like on roos. again you can not sex a chick because of these bumbs sorry

I talked to the lady I got the chickens from and she agreed to exchange the rooster for a hen,Before the crowing starts(yeah). Thanks to all for ALL the info. I learned alot just from this post. There is definately a difference in color between the hen and rooster, now that I know what to look for...Kinda -Sorta,LOL. Still have a lot to learn but having a good time. Thanks again and I'll keep reading the forum.

for its age its got a pretty big comb and waddles plus the hackle feathers that are really thin around his neck all say roo

1.BR is a hen about to lay
2. Americuana. dont know about sex but if it is a EE wouldnt the feet be green..?
idunno.gif

3. BR is def a ROO...!
4. RIR is a pullet looks like its about to start to lay as well.

Back
Top Bottom