Hens or Roosters.. can anyone please help identify

cluck house

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
I have always gotten chicks already sexed until this year. A neighbor hen hatched her brood in our yard. Can anyone please help identify? Mixed breed... chicks are about 6 weeks old.

Thank you

I have always gotten chicks already sexed until this year. A neighbor hen hatched her brood in our yard. Can anyone please help identify? Mixed breed... chicks are about 6 weeks old.

Thank you
Cockerel

Pullet left, 2 cockerels right.

Cockerel

Cockerel

Cockerel

Cockerel center, another just behind him, pullet far lower right

Can't tell

Cockerel
If you could get individual pictures of each it would help.

Thank you
Cockerel

Top cockerel, middle pullet, bottom cockerel

Cockerel

Same bird as above? Still cockerel.

Cockerel

Cockerel

Can't sex bird butts until they are full adults!
lol.png

Bad photo, but looks like a cockerel from the wattles.

I have always gotten chicks already sexed until this year. A neighbor hen hatched her brood in our yard. Can anyone please help identify? Mixed breed... chicks are about 6 weeks old. Thank you [COLOR=0000FF]Cockerel[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Top cockerel, middle pullet, bottom cockerel[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Cockerel[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Same bird as above? Still cockerel.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Cockerel[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Cockerel[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]Can't sex bird butts until they are full adults![/COLOR] :lol: [COLOR=0000FF]Bad photo, but looks like a cockerel from the wattles.[/COLOR]

thanks to all that have replied. I have updated my photos to hopefully clearer ones that can help me identify the sex on more of my mix. Are the red markings above the beak a sure sign of rooster?

Thanks again

thanks to all that have replied. I have updated my photos to hopefully clearer ones that can help me identify the sex on more of my mix. Are the red markings above the beak a sure sign of rooster?

The red markings above the beak are the bird's comb. Here's a link that will explain combs to you: http://keep-hens-raise-chickens.com/start-keeping-chickens/chicken-combs-types-and-purpose

Males of a breed get much larger, redder combs than females of that same breed and their combs begin developing much earlier. Different breeds have different types of combs, and a female with a straight comb such as a white Leghorn may have a larger comb than a male with a small comb like a pea comb such as an Ameraucana even when the male is fully mature.

When the chicks are all of the same breeding as yours are, comb development can be a good way to sex babies. We're also looking at the development of the wattles, which are the red pieces of flesh that are coming in below the beak. Again, wattles on males develop before wattles on females, usually.

Here's a BYC article on how to figure out whether your bird is a pullet or a cockerel: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/is-my-chicken-a-pullet-hen-or-a-cockerel-cock

Unless a bird crows, I'd personally wait until you start seeing saddle and hackle feathers on a bird (12-18 weeks) before you cull him. You never know, and I've had pullets with redder combs before that would have fooled me into culling them if I hadn't waited.

Thanks again
Pullet

Cockerel

Looks like three pullets, although the one lying down may be a slower-developing cockerel

Cockerel lying down in background, cockerel standing up, probable pullet in foreground

Cockerel

Can't tell, poor photo

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this wealth of information.. Will definitely help me with my chickens... and roosters (
hmm.png
).

Thanks again
Pullet.

Cockerel.

All pullets

Pullet in front, followed by two cockerels (the one lying down and the one standing).

Cockerel standing.

Can't tell from the photo, but looks like cockerel on right.

Back
Top Bottom