Hens or Roosters?? Help!!

crazy chook

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Langwarrin, Victoria
I purchased these first two chickens at 6-8weeks old, sold to me as 'GIRLS' they are now around 5 months old - Are they Roosters??
The second one is a a large bird with purplish lavender legs. any guesses on x breed
A
53611_100_5580.jpg

B
53611_100_5599.jpg

This little one i hatched in the incubator. She/he is 8 weeks old 'boy or girl'
C
53611_100_5593.jpg
53611_100_5595.jpg

I'm guessing the purple legged one (B) is an EE cross. No idea on sex for A or B -- I would think by 5 months they'd be laying eggs.
pop.gif
If they haven't already, I'm saying roos. Of course, it would help if they crowed.
lol.png
The little one is probably a roo because of the redness of the comb.

I purchased 5 chickens from the same lady 2 are definitely roosters, 2 are hens and that second pic, I really don't know.....possibly boy.
he.gif

As soon as I find out all the boys are going back to her! She promised they were all girls and did say she would take them back if they were boys.
rant.gif

I have heard that when the chicks are just a couple of days old, if you hold it just a couple of inches from the ground and drop it and it lands on their feet it is a female and if it stumbles or falls it is male. I purchased 7 chicks this way just a little over 6-8 weeks ago and so far they all look like female. Of course I won't really know for about another month but so far so good.
Jakenhoss
thumbsup.gif
???

Quote:
The second one looks a lot like my female. She never really developed a comb and she stayed very small. They (m/f) were sold to me as leghorn bantams. They sure look like it. These chicks are very friendly and the roo even jumps on my back every time I go into the pen and stays there until I take him over to the coop and tell him to get off and then he waits until I pick him up and hold him fro awhile.
Jakenhoss

Back
Top Bottom