Hens or Roosters?? Help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crazy chook, Jun 11, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I purchased these first two chickens at 6-8weeks old, sold to me as 'GIRLS' they are now around 5 months old - Are they Roosters??
    The second one is a a large bird with purplish lavender legs. any guesses on x breed
    A
    [​IMG]
    B
    [​IMG]

This little one i hatched in the incubator. She/he is 8 weeks old 'boy or girl'
    C
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I'm going to say they are all cockerels.

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I'm guessing the purple legged one (B) is an EE cross. No idea on sex for A or B -- I would think by 5 months they'd be laying eggs. [​IMG] If they haven't already, I'm saying roos. Of course, it would help if they crowed. [​IMG] The little one is probably a roo because of the redness of the comb.

4. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    That second one (B) is suposed to be a Appenzeller Spitzhauben X [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Wow, that one doesn't look anything like the picts. [​IMG]

6. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I purchased 5 chickens from the same lady 2 are definitely roosters, 2 are hens and that second pic, I really don't know.....possibly boy. [​IMG]

As soon as I find out all the boys are going back to her! She promised they were all girls and did say she would take them back if they were boys. [​IMG]

7. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard that when the chicks are just a couple of days old, if you hold it just a couple of inches from the ground and drop it and it lands on their feet it is a female and if it stumbles or falls it is male. I purchased 7 chicks this way just a little over 6-8 weeks ago and so far they all look like female. Of course I won't really know for about another month but so far so good.
    Jakenhoss [​IMG] ???

8. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The second one looks a lot like my female. She never really developed a comb and she stayed very small. They (m/f) were sold to me as leghorn bantams. They sure look like it. These chicks are very friendly and the roo even jumps on my back every time I go into the pen and stays there until I take him over to the coop and tell him to get off and then he waits until I pick him up and hold him fro awhile.
    Jakenhoss

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    the first a roo, second hamburgh x roo, third one could be a wyandotte hen....

10. crazy chook

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    That solves it the! three will be returned. [​IMG]

nzpouter I don't think you have ever been wrong when it comes to gender queries. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by