Hens or Roosters???

mompoulson

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2017
Waukesha
Ok so where do I start..... I'm a new chicken mommy. 11 weeks ago we picked up our first batch of 1 day old baby chicks from a hatchery not to far from our home. I am noticing a few things that consern me. My 2 Production Reds are for one larger than my other breeds and starting to act in my eyes more like a rooster than a hen. So I know the hatchery couldn't guarantee all my chicks were hens but come on what's the chance both my Production Reds are roosters? We were so excited to get them home and watch them grow (quickly). Now my kiddos are feeling sad that we may have to give up not 1 but possibly 2 of our birds. The first 2 pictures are what I think is for sure our rooster. He/She has for a couple weeks now been attempting to cockadoodledoo in the mornings. He/She has also always been the more dominant bird. Could this just be the pecking order? He/She also attachs/try to mount 1 of my Buff Orpingtons (always the same one). What are your thoughts as far as what I'm saying and by how he/she looks? The last 2 pictures are what I thought was a hen..... now I'm second guessing because he/she has now also been attempting to cockadoodledoo. Now, I have only heard this bird do it once. The more concerning thing with this one is that for 2 or 3 days now when I go out in the mornings to let them out of the coop he/she attacks my other Products Red (the one I thought for sure was a rooster) and they run around like a mad house all around the run untill the being chased is scared back up in the coop. He /She won't let him/her eat untill after awhile. Now this 2nd bird doesn't look as much like a rooster then my first one. What are your thoughts on this bird too? Thanks in advance for any info. anyone can give me.
IMG_20170614_135256.jpg
IMG_20170614_135259.jpg
IMG_20170614_135325.jpg
IMG_20170614_135328.jpg

Ok so where do I start..... I'm a new chicken mommy. 11 weeks ago we picked up our first batch of 1 day old baby chicks from a hatchery not to far from our home. I am noticing a few things that consern me. My 2 Production Reds are for one larger than my other breeds and starting to act in my eyes more like a rooster than a hen. So I know the hatchery couldn't guarantee all my chicks were hens but come on what's the chance both my Production Reds are roosters? We were so excited to get them home and watch them grow (quickly). Now my kiddos are feeling sad that we may have to give up not 1 but possibly 2 of our birds. The first 2 pictures are what I think is for sure our rooster. He/She has for a couple weeks now been attempting to cockadoodledoo in the mornings. He/She has also always been the more dominant bird. Could this just be the pecking order? He/She also attachs/try to mount 1 of my Buff Orpingtons (always the same one). What are your thoughts as far as what I'm saying and by how he/she looks? The last 2 pictures are what I thought was a hen..... now I'm second guessing because he/she has now also been attempting to cockadoodledoo. Now, I have only heard this bird do it once. The more concerning thing with this one is that for 2 or 3 days now when I go out in the mornings to let them out of the coop he/she attacks my other Products Red (the one I thought for sure was a rooster) and they run around like a mad house all around the run untill the being chased is scared back up in the coop. He /She won't let him/her eat untill after awhile. Now this 2nd bird doesn't look as much like a rooster then my first one. What are your thoughts on this bird too? Thanks in advance for any info. anyone can give me.View attachment 1042701 View attachment 1042702 View attachment 1042703 View attachment 1042704
Hope everyone can view the pictures. This is my 2nd time posting because I was informed the pictures didn't work the first time.

Big red comb and those shiny feathers on their backs.

Females won't get big red combs until much later. 16+ weeks of age. Right before they start laying eggs.

Females won't get big red combs until much later. 16+ weeks of age. Right before they start laying eggs.
Ok makes sense and that what I was also going by other than the attempt of a cockadoodledoo. Any other information would be helpful. I really want to learn as much as we can.

Didn't see my other respond post so I tried again but now I see it there so never mind this one. I erased it. Sorry.

A bit of information regarding roosters and hens differences:

http://animals.mom.me/tell-difference-between-hen-rooster-7229.html
Thanks for this. I have read this info. over and over and over again but I just want to make sure before we go ahead and get rid of them. I know it won't be easy for my kiddos. Do you think I should wait it out a bit longer it will they just get more aggressive? A friend of mine who also has chixkens said she always has waited till the were about 5 or 6 months before even thinking of getting rid of them?????? What do you think? I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks for this. I have read this info. over and over and over again but I just want to make sure before we go ahead and get rid of them. I know it won't be easy for my kiddos. Do you think I should wait it out a bit longer it will they just get more aggressive? A friend of mine who also has chixkens said she always has waited till the were about 5 or 6 months before even thinking of getting rid of them?????? What do you think? I really appreciate all the help.

They are definitely male. The large red combs at an early age, obvious saddle feathers coming in, the darker shiny red feathers on the shoulder and in the saddle area, gangly build and crowing attempts all mean cockerel.

If you aren't going to keep them there is no need to wait any longer to part with them. Your pullets will thank you too as cockerels mature more quickly than the females. If they haven't started yet they will start their mating attempts soon, and those aren't pretty to watch.

Back
Top Bottom