1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Hens or Roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heathers chickens, Mar 18, 2009.

1. heathers chickens

heathers chickens Hatching

Mar 18, 2009
    i purchased 8 chics in October. The breeder said he was pretty sure they were all females by inspecting feather structure. Now at 5 months I am waking to the sound of Crowing at 5 am. Only started this week. I saw two crowing this morning.. but they all look alike. Only one chick in the flock has a small comb and waddle. All others are very similar in looks but looking at photos of hens and roosters they look very similar to rhode island red hens! How do u actually tell them apart? No eggs yet either.

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Pictures would help

3. conwaymomma

conwaymomma Hatching

Jan 26, 2009
    I tried the test that I read on this website (I think) - if you (gently) hold the chicken up by the neck and it pulls its feet up it's a boy if it hangs its feet down it's a girl. Seems crazy, but it worked for me. I adopted some chicks and was very worried about having any roosters - I live in a subdivision. Everything is fine now - just dealing with wierd brooding issues with the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by