Hens or Toms??? Tell me what you think?

Sorry about the predator.
I had a poult which I hatched for my brother and it was strutting about less than 2 months old..for some reason it thought it could take on 3 geese who were the same age and twice the size. pretty sure it was a little tom haha!
Good luck with the new poults!

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.... but...

This is my new slate blue. Unsure of age, of course but was wondering if anyone could help me out on gender? Thanks!

This is my new slate blue. Unsure of age, of course but was wondering if anyone could help me out on gender? Thanks!
I'd say tom about five moths old. I've never had turkeys, but have spent DAYS researching, studying, and dreaming about getting a young tom one day :)
Beautiful turkey!

I raise Blue Slates and this really looks like a hen to me. At five months old my toms have been really easy to tell.

At two months old it might be a little too early to tell but it does appear to have a mohawk and doesn't look to have the large caruncles or snood that a tom will have.

I raise Blue Slates and this really looks like a hen to me.  At five months old my toms have been really easy to tell. 

At two months old it might be a little too early to tell but it does appear to have a mohawk and doesn't look to have the large caruncles or snood that a tom will have.

Guess I'll have to wait a little longer! I was hoping tom but now that I'm looking I'm thinking otherwise.

Here's one more picture if it helps.
One more clue is that there are no nubs of developing spurs that a tom would have. If it isn't too much trouble, hold it so it is laying on its back in your lap and see what the leg reaction is. If it brings its legs up to its chest and holds them there, it is very likely a hen. If it keeps its legs kicking or holds one or both to the back or straight up, that would be an indication that it is a tom.

Just my preference but I breed a self blue (Lavender) tom to Blue Slate hens to avoid getting black poults.

Good luck.

One more clue is that there are no nubs of developing spurs that a tom would have.  If it isn't too much trouble, hold it so it is laying on its back in your lap and see what the leg reaction is.  If it brings its legs up to its chest and holds them there, it is very likely a hen.  If it keeps its legs kicking or holds one or both to the back or straight up, that would be an indication that it is a tom.

Just my preference but I breed a self blue (Lavender) tom to Blue Slate hens to avoid getting black poults.

Good luck.

That's definitely interesting. I'll try that.

Back
Top Bottom