hens pecking decomposing bird

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mammas, Aug 7, 2011.

1. mammas

mammas New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    We have 11 laying hens. i unfortuntately found one of our wyndotts dead in the coop 2 days ago. it was close to dark when i found her and it was soft soil so i buried her quickly where she lay.

today i went out to find that she had been dug up! I couldnt quite believe it and again, being in a hurry and getting ready for company I quickly reburied the bird under a good bit of soil.

2 hours later I went outside to find the decomposing bird dug up again - this time 2 of my hens were around the decomposing bird, picking and pecking at her.

I thought a cat had gotten in the coop but it was actually my hens who were digging her up!

the dead chicken was decomposing smelly and filled with maggots.

I took a shovel and buried her good outside the coop.

i feel so stupid. i had no idea the birds would do this. Now I am afraid my flock might get sick.

my friend told me a story that if a chicken eats a dead bird like this = i have to kill the flock. is this true? we have 11 hens. one is my daughters pet. it will be horrible if i have to do this.

can someone shed some light here.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Chickens are carnivores. [​IMG] And I've never heard of anyone saying you had to kill your flock because they ate something dead!! I would keep and eye on them but I don't think you have anything to worry about!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  3. mammas

mammas New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    thank you for your reply and I sure hope your right! The Randall Berkey company is literally right round the corner from us. I am goign to try to go and talk with mr. Berkey Monday am too.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Normal behavior. I'm sure their little chicky DNA tells them, "when you smell decomp, there are maggots, YUMMY!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by