Hens pecking each other, molting?

KTacres

Hatching
Mar 23, 2023
My 13 month old chicks have been pecking each others bottoms. 3 have large bare spots near vents. One hen also has a bare spot on the back of her neck. When I watched them peck they then ate the feathers. Could it be not enough protein in their diet? They are laying fine. This is a picture of one of their bottoms. I picked up some meal worm to add some more protein and won’t give them as much table scraps so they eat more of their layers pellets.

489FD12C-AF34-41C6-9A3B-1983E9E38456.jpeg

My 13 month old chicks have been pecking each others bottoms. 3 have large bare spots near vents. One hen also has a bare spot on the back of her neck. When I watched them peck they then ate the feathers. Could it be not enough protein in their diet? They are laying fine. This is a picture of one of their bottoms. I picked up some meal worm to add some more protein and won’t give them as much table scraps so they eat more of their layers pellets.
I’m sorry I don’t have advice but am also having this same issue in my flock. I have three older hens and three chickens under a year. One of the three younger ones (red star) is plucking and eating the vent feathers of the other two. I thought it was a lack of protein so I increased but the same chicken continues to do it. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions from others would be greatly appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom