Hens Pecking me!!! OUCH!!!

Thanks TheSpiceGirls; for the insight on the BO breed. Could be a breed specific behavior.
They all gather around my feet when I walk into the pen. Usually I do bring a treat
so maybe they are seeing if I have any hidden in my pant legs or shoes or something like that.

Nice to know that I am that loved by my chickens.
love.gif

Last year we had an overly needy Barred Rock named Pot Pie. Very affectionate so far too much pecking of pant legs or worse your ankles. Though cute was trying at times and not fun for any guest. Our chickens stay in the yard all day. This year due to raising a cockerel we didn't fondle them as much and it corrected the problem.

Thanks everyone, I am getting great info.
wee.gif

Nice to know that I am loved by my flock. I feel better now, I had no idea
what they were trying to tell me. Wanting attention makes since. The pecking
does get a little worse when I am holding one of the hens and really bad
when I pick up the roo. The roo does not mind being picked up but the hens
let me have it when I do.
D.gif

What is even more funny is, when I put the hen down that I was holding a few of
the other hens chance her to the back of the pen then come back to peck me some more.

Nice to know that my flock is normal.

Thanks Again All.

From my limited experience with chickens, I have decided they are...
a - the equivalent of 18 month old human children who must employ the taste test for EVERYTHING they see, including my new pair of flipflops.
b - the elite first string players in a feathered rugby team.
c - jealous of any other animal, including humans, that distracts the food monster from her appointed rounds of bringing out treats every hour, on the hour
d - reminding me that I need to shave my legs
and
e - using their beaks like lips to give me little pecks of love

Now to convince them to quit plucking the cardinals that land beside the run and I'll be okay.

I used to where my sandals outside, but then they saw my toes and would "investigate" a little. I had to quit where them, and then I started again and they leave my toes alone now... AS LONG AS I HAVE SOMETHING ELSE for them to eat. LOL.

Sorry... was only joking about the movie... I just remembered that movie from when I was a kid. THe chickens pecked at the little girls feet so bad...Scared the crap out of me so bad that I didn't go near anywhere that had chickens except the store. Now I have 18, soon to be 20.

I have one who used to peck too roughly, and was a bit of a bully with the others. I peck her back. Not as hard as she pecks me, not anywhere near enough to hurt. It's the gesture that's the message, I think, maybe combined with my relative size. I've used a flimsy weed branch to do this. She's a lot more congenial these days.

Thanks everyone, I love all the replies that I am getting.

I agree with Chinchilla 2, they like to remind me that I forgot to shave my legs and investigate the new
color of nail polish that I put on my toes. So funny, my chickens actually recognize a change in fashion.
lau.gif

I have very detail oriented chickens.
tongue2.gif

My BR pecked my hair when I was setting the silkie pullet, Lorraine, on the lower roost. I think she was just curious.
tongue.png

ETA:

My other hens seem to peck my engagement ring..
hmm.png
Same with my fiance.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom