Hens pecking on rooster feet??

@navy.milmcal762

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Hello all,
Newbie at this.. here is my issue, I had two roosters for three weeks holding one until my friend completed his coop and run. So on monday rooster#2 went to his new home and then Rooster #1 is now in charge, we have 5 Austrolop pullets (4 months old not laying) and the largest hen is now pecking of Roos feet making them bleed. Not for sure what is going on? Sprayed his feet with the Blue-kote to help out. Any ideas????
Thanks,
Mike:/

Like SpottedCrow pointed out, the pecking order is probably out of whack. Give it a few days and it should stop once the pecking order is straight again. I don't know what to tell you to do in the mean time for sure. The Blu-Kote sounds like the best solution to me.

I also want to tell you
welcome-byc.gif
!!!
frow.gif

Hello,
thanks for the replys.. We checked on him last night and all seemed better, reapplied the blue-kote and put him back in the coop. I think your right that the pecking order was upset when the other rooster went to his new home.
Thanks,
Mike

Glad to hear things are going better, Poor little man !!!! Hope the ladys keep treating him better !!!!!

Also.......
welcome-byc.gif

Our hens are pecking at our roo's feet also. We culled him within sight and he stops bleeding, then at night he goes to sleep with the hens. The next day he's nailing hens and they eat etc then at some point the girls bloody his feet again. We've been going through this for a week now. Only started separating him from them in the day time for 3 or 4 days. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Like SpottedCrow pointed out, the pecking order is probably out of whack. Give it a few days and it should stop once the pecking order is straight again. I don't know what to tell you to do in the mean time for sure. The Blu-Kote sounds like the best solution to me.

I also want to tell you
welcome-byc.gif
!!!
frow.gif
When i twisted to remove overgrown spurs, there was a little blood. I sprayed blu-kote and that made the girls go after his feet. Beware the color can cause them to go after his feet too.

Back
Top Bottom