Hens picking on one hen

loretta123

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
We have 12 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster is a bantam. The hens are 5 Rhode island reds, 3 Jersey Giants, 2 leghorns, 1 white bantam, 1 brown bantam. Here recently within the last weeks the hens are picking on the little white bantam hen. She runs from them and jumps on my shoulder for safety when I go out to pen. She sleeps in one of the nest at night while the others are on top of nests. I don't know what to do. I love the bantam hen, she is so sweet. Any suggestions on how to correct problem. Will getting rid of rooster solve problem? She also quit laying eggs since this has happened. They all have just started laying eggs. They are 6 months old.

Last edited:
Ohhhh I had this problem too! It eventually worked itself out. I had a barred rock who just kept picking on my little Gerdy...she (barred Rock) however passed away and now the bullying has stopped. I would add in more feeding and watering containers and separate the #1 bully for a few days. That should calm things down. Good luck!

Thanks, they all seem to pick on her. She starts running when they even get near her, she automatically thinks they are going to attack her. We have 2 feeders and 4 waterers. She actually acts like a pet and not a chicken. None of them have drawn blood on her yet.

Yet is right...mine lost all her back feathers :-( there's not 1 or 2 that mostly do it? Ok just put a chicken diaper on her and have her live with you!!!

Yeah seems more scared of others than some. I would let her live with us if we didn't have our dog who would eat her if given a chance. I wish I could find someone to take her as pet and love her. She loves to be cuddled and kissed and will fly onto shoulder and eat from your hand. This might all be the reason she is being picked on now because they are jealous. She has been like this since she was a chick, never scared of people, just chickens

Hens are very sociable and have a pecking order. I have had the same problem and i have a bird cage for the older ones who become bullies. I put one of the bullies in the cage while the others have freedom of the run and the coop. One day I let her out and she went straight to the coop at night and i Told her to get down and she did!! She went outside where i Put it back in the cage. It is now doing fine and not picking on anyone

https://docs.google.com/fil

e/d/0B7wdNoP5tSkEWHlpRXJaY3dfTFk/edit?usp=drive_web

Back
Top Bottom