Hens picking on one introduced back into flock

Neighborhood Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2020
Hudson, CO
We had to isolate a hen (flock about 14 weeks old ) that was sick. All ok now and vet said put her back with flock. Now the others are picking on her and she has to stay hidden. Is there any help for her? I cannot keep her isolated and now it is getting cold so she needs to be in coop. She is smaller due to being sick. Ideas? Thank you!

We had her in a dog crate where they could see each other several days. then we put her in the coop last night after dark. Set her on the roost. This morning no one seemed to notice her but as the day went on...

Keep an eye on her, if they start overly pecking her where there is blood, I personally would pull her from the flock to heal her and reintegrate her. I am overly cautious at integration, so I tend to do integration for a longer time than other people. I have one hen who was at the bottom of the pecking order and when free ranging, she would be off on her own and she would come every time when I called her name. With new pullets in the flock, she is no longer the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom