Hens quit laying !

bsg

Hatching
Apr 2, 2020
Mountians of Southwest Virginia
Hello, I'm new to BackYard Chickens and this is My first ever question on any forum. Here Goes. I have raised my first flock of registered Icelandic Chickens. I Have 6 hens and 1 rooster.. They are about 7 months old and as soon as the weather started warming up I was getting 5-6 eggs every day for about a month and all a sudden they have quit laying going on the 2nd week now with No eggs ??? I thought maybe a varmint but no evidence of that. Maybe a black snake so I placed a few golf balls in the nest, 4 days have passed and the balls are still in the nest ??? I might add I have not heard the hens cackling after laying either ??? Any Ideas ! Thanks ...

Good questions by sloan.
registered Icelandic Chickens.
Wonders about 'registered' chickens?
Never heard of that before.

Welcome to BYC! @bsg
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1585921097969.png

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The most common reason for hens to not be laying is the molt. At that age and especially if you are north of the equator that's not likely, but are you seeing a bunch of feathers flying around? Never say never. But the molt typically doesn't hit all of them overnight, it's more gradual. I guess that is a question, how sudden or gradual was this?

Another common reason for them to appear to have stopped laying is that they are hiding a nest on you. Two or maybe even three hens maybe, but not that many. Highly unlikely but never say never.

Has anything happened to stress them? Running out of water for a day or more, remodeling their quarters, moving them, adding or removing flock members, change of lights? Change can stress them which can affect their laying. They are especially sensitive to light, that has a direct affect on their laying. Have you recently turned off a security light or something like that?

Something may be getting your eggs. Most critters that eat them leave signs, broken egg shells or wet spots. Chickens might clean up the egg shells but they are generally not that good at it, especially that many. The only critters in North America that I'm aware of that don't typically leave signs are snakes, canines, and humans.

That's not a snake, I've dealt with them before. A snake eats a few eggs, how many depends on its size, then it disappears for a few days to digest them, then comes back for more. If it's every day it is not a snake. Besides, a 5' long black rat snake was eating 4 at a time and leaving the rest. I don't know how big a snake would have to be to eat 6 at a time.

A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your chickens than the eggs, one of them is not likely. Dogs however will sometimes eat eggs but not bother the chickens. Do dogs have access? Since I don't know where you are I can't talk to other potential critters.

I'll let you decide if humans could be responsible.

It's possible a disease could cause that but if they are acting normal I really doubt it is a disease.

So what can you do? I don't know how you manage them, do they free range or are they confined to a coop and run? If they free range you can lock them in the coop/run for a few days. If you start seeing eggs either they are hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eater.

You can take a couple of real eggs, subtly mark them, and leave them down there. If they disappear something is getting the eggs.

Other than that I don't know. Just be patient I guess.

Good luck, this can be really frustrating.

Are they kept in a run or free range?
What kind of feed are they eating?
Are they kept in a run or free range?
What kind of feed are they eating?
Good questions by sloan.

Wonders about 'registered' chickens?
Never heard of that before.

Welcome to BYC! @bsg
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2073627
Thanks for the help. I think I created another post while trying to update my profile, like I said this is my first time ever lol... Ill try to be more detailed in the future.. Thanks Again... By the way I live in the mountains of Southwest Virginia !

The most common reason for hens to not be laying is the molt. At that age and especially if you are north of the equator that's not likely, but are you seeing a bunch of feathers flying around? Never say never. But the molt typically doesn't hit all of them overnight, it's more gradual. I guess that is a question, how sudden or gradual was this?

Another common reason for them to appear to have stopped laying is that they are hiding a nest on you. Two or maybe even three hens maybe, but not that many. Highly unlikely but never say never.

Has anything happened to stress them? Running out of water for a day or more, remodeling their quarters, moving them, adding or removing flock members, change of lights? Change can stress them which can affect their laying. They are especially sensitive to light, that has a direct affect on their laying. Have you recently turned off a security light or something like that?

Something may be getting your eggs. Most critters that eat them leave signs, broken egg shells or wet spots. Chickens might clean up the egg shells but they are generally not that good at it, especially that many. The only critters in North America that I'm aware of that don't typically leave signs are snakes, canines, and humans.

That's not a snake, I've dealt with them before. A snake eats a few eggs, how many depends on its size, then it disappears for a few days to digest them, then comes back for more. If it's every day it is not a snake. Besides, a 5' long black rat snake was eating 4 at a time and leaving the rest. I don't know how big a snake would have to be to eat 6 at a time.

A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your chickens than the eggs, one of them is not likely. Dogs however will sometimes eat eggs but not bother the chickens. Do dogs have access? Since I don't know where you are I can't talk to other potential critters.

It's possible a disease could cause that but if they are acting normal I really doubt it is a disease.

So what can you do? I don't know how you manage them, do they free range or are they confined to a coop and run? If they free range you can lock them in the coop/run for a few days. If you start seeing eggs either they are hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eater.

You can take a couple of real eggs, subtly mark them, and leave them down there. If they disappear something is getting the eggs.

Absolutely amazing info right there.

Very thorough reply, greatly appreciated :thumbsup You have brought up several points I hadn't considered. they are kept in a secure lot 10 x 10 with elevated nest.. inconsistent water supply definitely may have been the problem . Since the egg laying stopped that problem was corrected. Also stress is possible since II have a Boxer who thought they were play toys, lol That also has been corrected. Ill give it a few days with the marked eggs and previous corrections complete and let ya know their status. Thank You So Much for Your answer !

Back
Top Bottom