Hens quit using waterer

Maybe the heater changes the flavor?

Any chance they could have gotten an electric shock? That might be enough to make them stay away for quite a while, even if it only happened briefly.

Chickens do drink different amounts in different weather, so there's a chance their water needs really did go down, but I don't think that would account for the degree of difference you noticed.

For what to do:
Maybe leave that bucket, but put out a dish of fresh water once or twice a day.
That way they've always got the heated water in case they want/need it, but they can have a chance to drink "better" water sometimes (whatever better is to a chicken!)

I’ve wondered if there might be a current in the water that they can feel. I’d wondered if anyone had had that problem with these heaters .

I thought I might just remove the heater, put in all fresh water and see how that works. I wonder how long it would take them to realize there is a difference.

The other waterer is only 2 1/2 gal. and the water in the trough freezes. Also, they continually foul the water in the trough.
That’s why I’m so keen on getting them back to the bucket.

The other waterer is only 2 1/2 gal. and the water in the trough freezes. Also, they continually foul the water in the trough.
That’s why I’m so keen on getting them back to the bucket.

How many chickens do you have?

As long as they don't drink it all up before it freezes, there's no reason for big water containers in freezing weather--a dog dish may be quite big enough, or a chick waterer that holds a quart, or a rubber bowl you can easily break the ice out of.

Having two waterers helps, because you can bring one out full of water, and take the frozen one in to thaw.

Or else have one that you can easily get the ice out of, so it's a fast job to refill it.

About the filthy water--can you put it up on something? (Milk crate, storage bin, concrete block, etc.) That usually helps keep stuff from getting scratched in.

I can certainly understand why you want the chickens to go back to the drinking from the nipple waterer, so I'm just making other suggestions in case they help in the meantime.

I like the galvanized metal waterers, on metal heat plates, in my coop. There's no way I'm out there three times daily to change out rubber water dishes in freezing weather!

[shrugs] It's not that bad, once you get used to it.

I grew up in Alaska, and heat plates either did not exist or my parents didn't know about them. We changed water twice a day all year long, with an extra time in the coldest winter weather. (Why twice a day in summer? Because Mom said so--it made sure the water was fresh and clean, and having to change it made sure we didn't forget to check it.)

I am a big fan of water dishes/containers that are quick and easy to dump/refill :)

We have a 5 gal. bucket with horizontal nipples that the hens used all summer and fall.
Mine drink much less out of the heated nipple waterer if there is snow on the ground or it's been raining. I monitor their consumption daily.

I don't consider them taking a long drink as evidence that they were dying of thirst
Ditto Dat!

I also think that overall they're less thirsty when it's cool/cold than when it's hotter, when they need the extra hydration to deal with the heat.
Exactly!

rather than the latest 'fad', nipple waterers.
:gig HN's aren't new, or a fad, many use them very successfully. Worked fine here for 5 years now.

I too was concerned they wouldn't get enough, so I measured their consumption for a week or two before switching to nipples. It went down at bit at first, some didn't 'get it' at first, but a couple weeks in it was the same as with an open waterer.

How many chickens do you have?

As long as they don't drink it all up before it freezes, there's no reason for big water containers in freezing weather--a dog dish may be quite big enough, or a chick waterer that holds a quart, or a rubber bowl you can easily break the ice out of.

Having two waterers helps, because you can bring one out full of water, and take the frozen one in to thaw.

Or else have one that you can easily get the ice out of, so it's a fast job to refill it.

About the filthy water--can you put it up on something? (Milk crate, storage bin, concrete block, etc.) That usually helps keep stuff from getting scratched in.

I can certainly understand why you want the chickens to go back to the drinking from the nipple waterer, so I'm just making other suggestions in case they help in the meantime.

We have 7 chickens

The fountain is elevated on a stool but they get on top of it sometimes. There is a cover on it, they just poop in the trough when they sit on top.

I’ve fixed a toboggan disk over it and now they don’t jump on top
Also, somehow it must trap a little heat under there because it seems to have solved the frozen water problem too. At least until it gets much colder.
We’ve only been getting down into the teens at night.

Mine drink much less out of the heated nipple waterer if there is snow on the ground or it's been raining. I monitor their consumption daily.

Ditto Dat!

Exactly!

:gig HN's aren't new, or a fad, many use them very successfully. Worked fine here for 5 years now.

I too was concerned they wouldn't get enough, so I measured their consumption for a week or two before switching to nipples. It went down at bit at first, some didn't 'get it' at first, but a couple weeks in it was the same as with an open waterer.

We used it all summer and those 7 chickens could take the water level down pretty fast. They also switched over to the nipple method really quickly.

Back
Top Bottom