Hen's rejected egg hatching...

cadeschicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2012
We've had a broody hen succesfully hatch 7 biddies this week. There were a few obvious duds that we pulled out yesterday and a couple more she would'nt give up yet. Today she pushed both out of the nest. One candled as dud the other was completely opaque. I felt like it might be good so i put it back in the nest. An hour later it was on the ground again.

I know usually the hen knows best, but i decided to bring the egg in and set it up in a makeshift incubator. Now it's chirping and has pipped.

Do you think I should put it back in the nest a third time? I don't want to risk het rejecting it again in the final stages of hatching. Has anyone had a hen inexplicably reject a good egg?

My other thought is to smuggle it back in after hatching. Had anyone tried doing this before? I really don't want to brood one chick...

We've had a broody hen succesfully hatch 7 biddies this week. There were a few obvious duds that we pulled out yesterday and a couple more she would'nt give up yet. Today she pushed both out of the nest. One candled as dud the other was completely opaque. I felt like it might be good so i put it back in the nest. An hour later it was on the ground again.

I know usually the hen knows best, but i decided to bring the egg in and set it up in a makeshift incubator. Now it's chirping and has pipped.

Do you think I should put it back in the nest a third time? I don't want to risk het rejecting it again in the final stages of hatching. Has anyone had a hen inexplicably reject a good egg?

My other thought is to smuggle it back in after hatching. Had anyone tried doing this before? I really don't want to brood one chick...
Since the others have hatched... they will be more active than the just hatching one....

So what I have done in the past is hatch the late one in the house. Let it pep up nicely (so 1 or 2 days after hatching... until it can run well) then sneak it under mom.

Usually this works perfectly, because chickens cant count. ;)

However, they can see color differences!!! So.... if this late chick is a totally different color or pattern from the rest... she might not take it, (and might try to kill it) you will have to watch closely.

20190330_081759.jpg

She's gray like the others! Hopefully she can be reintroduced to her family soon.

“Chickens can’t count” :lau
Neither can sheep... cows on the other hand can tell their babies apart, and no way is a niece or nephew getting a sip from the wrong udder!

Back
Top Bottom