Hens Roosting In Nest Boxes

gkeesling

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Hagerstown, IN
I have three 18 wk old Barr Rock Pullets who want to roost in the nest boxes. I have 9 others who roost on the 2 roosting boards (2x4 turned on the 4" side). I put the roosting boards on the opposite side of the 8'x10' coop than the next boxes, and both of them are higher than the nest boxes. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the 3 pullets to quit roosting in the next boxes?

Blocking the nests in the evenings and opening them with daybreak is probably the best idea. Or, you could show up with your smallest flashlight after dark and remove them from the boxes. Place them on the roost.

They need to get the idea that the boxes are NOT the safe, warm, comfortable locations to sleep they have been thinking they are.

I have been wondering if curtaining the nestboxes would deter sleeping while not discouraging laying and eliminating eggeating as it seems to work for many people. There may be a 3-fold reason to hang curtains.

Steve

Quote:
Good advise! I use gallon milk jugs in their nestbox to get them use to only sleeping on their roosts.Then once they are use to that you can take the jugs away for when they begin to lay.Many say if your roosts aren't higher than your nest box they won't use the roosts.That is just not true,depending on what you have them use to. Will

I'm liking the curtaining advice
smile.png
I'm in the same situation with my 3 little EE pullets. I'm sure there's plenty of room for them on the roost, but they seem to prefer the nest boxes and it really borks up the hay and renders one side of the boxes useless.

Back
Top Bottom