Hens roosting in trees

Gaufron

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2019
Hi
I am looking for advice. I have brought, a month ago 3 point of lay hens. I am an experienced hen keeper. My hens are free range with 5 acres of farm grazing land. When I have new hens I keep them in a fenced run until they know where to roost and then gradually introduce them to the big outdoors, and the other members of the flock. Their hutches are in a small fenced copse which, Have so far, in the last 10yrs been fox proof. The new girls insist on roosting in the copse trees! too high for me to catch and shut away for the night. My worry of course is foxes but also the weather, they get soaking wet in the rain but also winter is coming and freezing conditions. Although I'm in the UK and temperatures are not normally extreme. Shall I go back to square one and try to train them where to roost or just leave them to it?

Hello Gaufron.
Welcome to BYC.
Is there a rooster in your flock? If there is where does he roost?
You write that your run has been fox proof for a decade. If you decide to let them roost in the trees I would also want an electric fence of some sort outside the outermost fence.
The damp in the UK rather than low temperatures would be my only health concern. It freezes for a few weeks here in the winter but it tends to be dry with good sunshine during the day. The chickens here were fine at -9 centigrade roosting in the trees.
I've had fully free range here (don't roost in coops) and not lost a chicken. We have foxes but they are shy compared to even semi rural foxes in the UK in general. We also have various other climbing night predators.
If it was me I would let those that want to roost in the trees get on with it given you've installed the electric fence and believe the outer perimeter is secure.
If you free range you have to accept there will be deaths and injuries from predators. It doesn't really matter after that if it happens in the day or night.
I believe that it is healthier for chickens to roost in tree.
You can put a stop to tree roosting with some effort. I have pro bantam tree huggers here and they've will come down at dusk and go into their coops with a bit of encouragement.
I have a 'device' for picking them out of the trees and a method to go with it. If you are interested in this then tag me or reply in this thread.

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC!

I would figure out how to keep them out of the trees. Perhaps clip their wings? I had two chickens who slept in an apple tree, when I first had chickens. Even in the rain and snow, they preferred the tree to their coop. Then one morning a golden eagle plucked one right off the tree. The other one never went up there again, and I would never allow it again.

I had chickens that figured they would roost some place I could not get to, but that's ok a raccoon could get there, no more chicken. Welcome to BYC and enjoy chasing chickens out of trees, I know I did quite a few times. How to stop them? I just kept grabbing them every night until they went further up the tree or started going in the coop. I lost one to a raccoon (assumed Raccoon) and the rest started going into the coop at night.

Welcome :welcome Mine have learned quickly that ‘the mason jar’ means treats..... if I need to round them up for any reason (seen coyote, Fox, mink or other predator nearby or bad storm/winter storm is coming etc) I step outside with mason jar partially filled with black oil sunflower seeds - a favorite treat for them) shake the jar and call them and they come running from wherever they are and follow me to the coop/run. Scatter some seeds and - voilà :) Everyone is ‘home’

Back
Top Bottom