Hens Run From Fan ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4estgump, Jul 8, 2010.

1. 4estgump

4estgump Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Anderson Co. KY
    I have a chicken tractor, with 2 hens in it. We have had 100 degree weather for weeks. We use frozen gal. water jugs in the run and the coop. I have a regular house fan that i take out and set it about 10' from the run. I turn it on low. The hens run up and into the coop and stay there until i turn it off. The fan is not loud at all. Can anyone tell me why this happens?
    Thank You 4est

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Well, chickens are chicken. It's not unusual for them to be afraid of different/new things. Also They pick up the vibe from each other. If one of mine thinks a fly in the yard is an attack eagle, they all run.

Imp

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I finally put a fan in front of my brooder too. The side is a screen, not solid and I just wanted air flow. Most of the 3 week olds are scared and avoiding it but at least SOME air is moving!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You could try a pan of icewater . . . my hens will drink it and/or stand in it when it is very hot outside, and it's not so scary . . .

5. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    We tried a fan ...they didn't like it either.
    We now just put frozen ater bottles in pen for them to stand on...or sit next to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by