hens shredding nesting material

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, May 28, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been noticing my hens when incubating a clutch of eggs tend to shred nesting material. My nests are boxes with a sandy loam soil added to buffer changes in humidity and red winter wheat straw for insulation. As eggs are being laid, a depression or nest bowl is maintained. Once incubation gets underway, straw appears to become finely shredded like what you would expect material in a robins nest to look.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could they be softening what's being supplied in the nest for the chicks since they don't go out collecting materials?

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Could be. It also maybe a better insulator when shredded, making it easier for hen to keep clutch warm.

As for not being inclined to collect materials, I am going to put that to test with next brood. Hen I am observing now is a red jungle fowl. They do things differently than domestics, even in respect to nesting activities. I am surprised they nest in elevated locations though. In nature seems ground nesting would be rule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by