Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Pics
Well, i didnt find the johnswort oil . seems to me that i may have used it all. I put some tincture in the hot mix, want to get rid of some of the alcohol so it won't sting so bad..
Im thinking about crazy gluing her.

http://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/amoxicillin

The link has dosage info on this... how much does your bird weigh?

If she weighs 3kg then the dosage per the poultry DVM is 3*16 to 20mg which is 48-60 mg orally... per the poultry DVM site
? Hm . i sure thought another poster with numbers in his name said he gives 125mg per kg or per bird.
That's one thing i haven't done yet. One of many. I need to drag the scale out and put the batteries in it.

Just double check your dosage on the Amox/clav, I have not used it so I am relying the Vet sites‘ info. But I do know on dosages you need to calculate for the weight of the bird.

Poultry DVM has some meds dose recommendations that are not always in line with what others have gotten from vets. This thread has some info by @casportpony , who is very good at dosing, see posts #2 and #6:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amoxicillin-and-chickens.847924/
This is from my copy of Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook:
!!Birds:
For susceptible infections:
a) For most species: 150 – 175 mg/kg PO once to twice daily (using
50 mg/mL suspension) (Clubb 1986)
b) 100 mg/kg q8h PO (Bauck and Hoefer 1993)
c) 100 mg/kg q8h, IM, SC, PO (Hoeffer 1995)
PO means orally, IM is intramuscular injection, SC is subcutaneous injection.
Most of the time I use a dose of 125mg twice a day, if it's a very bad infection I have used a much higher dose with no issues. Amoxicillin is generally very well tolerated.
If you are using pills I have found the easiest way to get it in them is to mix your correct dose (ground up pill or emptied capsule) into some coconut oil, then refrigerate or freeze (freezing is faster with a longer working time) and then give that like a custom pill. They like coconut oil and it usually goes down easy. Just put in her beak and she will swallow it. You can break it into smaller pieces as long as all of the dose goes down. You can also mix in a bit of feed, but often if they aren't feeling well then they may not eat, or eat it all.

Poultry DVM has some meds dose recommendations that are not always in line with what others have gotten from vets. This thread has some info by @casportpony , who is very good at dosing, see posts #2 and #6:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/amoxicillin-and-chickens.847924/
This is from my copy of Plumbs Veterinary Drug Handbook:
!!Birds:
For susceptible infections:
a) For most species: 150 – 175 mg/kg PO once to twice daily (using
50 mg/mL suspension) (Clubb 1986)
b) 100 mg/kg q8h PO (Bauck and Hoefer 1993)
c) 100 mg/kg q8h, IM, SC, PO (Hoeffer 1995)
PO means orally, IM is intramuscular injection, SC is subcutaneous injection.
Most of the time I use a dose of 125mg twice a day, if it's a very bad infection I have used a much higher dose with no issues. Amoxicillin is generally very well tolerated.
If you are using pills I have found the easiest way to get it in them is to mix your correct dose (ground up pill or emptied capsule) into some coconut oil, then refrigerate or freeze (freezing is faster with a longer working time) and then give that like a custom pill. They like coconut oil and it usually goes down easy. Just put in her beak and she will swallow it. You can break it into smaller pieces as long as all of the dose goes down. You can also mix in a bit of feed, but often if they aren't feeling well then they may not eat, or eat it all.
Perfect. Thank you so much. Coconut oil here we come. I treated her about an hour ago. I'm starting to think she actually might survive this.

Um. She took a dirt bath.
I let her. I'm glad she wants to keep herself clean and feels up to it. It went on for a long time but i finally had to interrupt her.
She's all cleaned up again and rebandaged. For the second time today.

I'm really amazed at this bird. She is acting mostly like there's nothing wrong.
She is even laying eggs! She only missed on the day of the accident!

Her first dose of augmentin is down the hatch! Thank you very much coach723. The coconut oil plan worked great.

I'm really amazed at this bird. She is acting mostly like there's nothing wrong. She's preening right now.

Back
Top Bottom