Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

I would not use lidocaine on chickens or any bird for that matter. Hopefully the drops were tiny and she's a trooper.

It really depends on how dried out the edges get and how the blood flow is. An hour would probably be ok with a good scrubbing to get them freshened up and bleeding again. Anymore time than that would be questionable.

The lidocaine was extensive. I hoped i wouldn't OD her but she needed something. Actually it was lidocaine with epinephrine. I wouldn't have been surprised if she died. But yeah, i told her she's one tough bird.

Lidocaine in general no good for birds for what reason?

Still nobody answered what meds I can use for pain. Do you know?

"Lidocaine must be precisely dosed, and even so, the dose necessary to provide local anesthesia is greater than the toxic dose, in most cases (in small birds). It can be used in tame, large birds, if necessary. Another problem with using a local anesthetic agent is because restraining a bird awake is often very stressful. Signs of overdose with lidocaine may include excitement initially, seizures, depression, respiratory arrest, cardiovascular collapse and death."

That was an excerpt from and exoticpetvet.net.

For pain you can give her baby aspirin. Just make sure she's not actively bleeding.

Dose for chickens: Approx. 25 mg per pound of chicken's body weight each day.
  • Examples: For a 6-lb. Large Fowl Leghorn rooster, give 1 baby aspirin or 1/4 of a regular aspirin for a morning dose, and the same amount for an evening dose ( = ~150 mg total per day).

There is great debate on the subject, but the general consensus is that anything ending in "caine" is toxic to birds.

It seems to have worked well except for the skin directly in the center of her breastbone, at the base if the injury. That spot never numbed so i didn't sew it. I tried 3 times. She didn't squawk anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom