Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Pics
Humblehillsfarm, do you have a pain med suggestion?
I did not use any pain meds.

Humblehillsfarm , i read the story of scratch. Thank you! I didnt think of her scratching it with her feet!

You vetwrapped around her neck?

Yep, the vet wrap was awesome! But there was a trauma pad underneath of it.

Shezadandy, i had the hardest time tying stitches with the feather quills getting in the way. How did you cut off the quills, or did the bird not have many feathers at the injured site?

For my bird, while the rest of her body was growing feathers, the neck didn't start growing for a LONG time. My guess was the skin was too traumatized. It did eventually grow back beautifully.

To everyone who has had some success treating a bad injury, did you clean off the old treatments or mostly just keep adding new antibiotic/ vetyricin right on top? Obviously if it's pussing, etc, I'll have to remove junk before adding new.

I cleaned only by spraying vetrycin and applying more ointment.

Im heading out to get vetyricin and the collagen product mentioned earlier. Why no pain relief in the antibiotic?

The trauma pad and vet wrap i dont understand yet. basically a fancy non-stick gauze pad? I have to look it up . Did you wrap it around under her wings to keep it on? I considered bandaging her last night but decided she was more likely to rip it open, struggling with the bandage .
Vet wrap is tape? Or how does it attach?
Vet wrap is amazing! You will likely find it in the large animal section. It is stretchy like an ace bandage but it sticks to itself. It is usually colorful. We use it for everything around here. You can trim it to any size you need and it doesn't hurt.

Vet wrap is amazing! You will likely find it in the large animal section. It is stretchy like an ace bandage but it sticks to itself. It is usually colorful. We use it for everything around here. You can trim it to any size you need and it doesn't hurt.
Im at tractor supply. In horse section i see powerflex self adhesive elastic bandages. Also coflex. Similar. Is this vetwrap or is brand name a different product?

Attachments

• 15906739397713983306820041635349.jpg
    15906739397713983306820041635349.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 4
Im at tractor supply. In horse section i see powerflex self adhesive elastic bandages. Also coflex. Similar. Is this vetwrap or is brand name a different product?
All the same thing. Vetwrap is a blanket term a lot of us use to describe self adhesive bandage.

In human supplies it's called Coban. Animals it's typically called Coflex.

Vetericyn. A few varieties. The large animal one looks like same product w different label, less expensive overall. 30 bucks for 16 oz. Chicken version 8.oz for 23 bucks.
Compare the active ingredients, but I believe they're the same.

I don't know anything about the collagen product.

Veterycin are basically all the same. The hydro gel form will stay where you put it better than the liquid if they have that. It's thicker. I just get the stuff in the dog section usually, it works for all species.

Back
Top Bottom