Hens skin on neck sliced wide open on fence

Pics
Thank you for this info. By dry hard, you don't mean actually hard, right? Still flexible to move with animal? Especially interested in the collagen
Hi, I'm searching for the collagen gel but I'm coming up empty. If you remember any more detail, or a brand name, maybe i can find if online or for next time. It sounds like stuff I'd like to have around

I wouldn't stress about the lidocaine and what is already done. Some pain meds that end in 'caine' can be toxic, but some dosed appropriately are used by vets. Most here recommend avoiding them to alleviate confusion and possibly using one that shouldn't be used and doing harm. Many times I do not use pain meds since the pain will make them self limit movement and prevent them hurting themselves more, but I understand why you want to help. I'm attaching a couple of links with info on pain treatments, unfortunately many of the commonly used meds have to be gotten from a vet.
I would watch for signs of infection, since the wound was extensive. Did you make sure the crop was intact and not damaged? Asking since I didn't see it mentioned, may have missed it.
If the crop was torn then food ingested could leak into the neck area and increase the risk of infection. I would consider either starting a round of antibiotics, or at least having one on hand in case it's needed. You can get fish mox at some tractor supplies, to give orally.
These are for when you have time to look at them:
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/news/post/analgesia-in-poultry
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/17415349.2017.1395304

Good to know. Theres a spot on the shelf in the horse section but no product.
Veterycin are basically all the same. The hydro gel form will stay where you put it better than the liquid if they have that. It's thicker. I just get the stuff in the dog section usually, it works for all species.
There's Vetericyn gel that's labeled opthalmic. Found it.

I wouldn't stress about the lidocaine and what is already done. Some pain meds that end in 'caine' can be toxic, but some dosed appropriately are used by vets. Most here recommend avoiding them to alleviate confusion and possibly using one that shouldn't be used and doing harm. Many times I do not use pain meds since the pain will make them self limit movement and prevent them hurting themselves more, but I understand why you want to help. I'm attaching a couple of links with info on pain treatments, unfortunately many of the commonly used meds have to be gotten from a vet.
I would watch for signs of infection, since the wound was extensive. Did you make sure the crop was intact and not damaged? Asking since I didn't see it mentioned, may have missed it.
If the crop was torn then food ingested could leak into the neck area and increase the risk of infection. I would consider either starting a round of antibiotics, or at least having one on hand in case it's needed. You can get fish mox at some tractor supplies, to give orally.
These are for when you have time to look at them:
https://www.chickenvet.co.uk/news/post/analgesia-in-poultry
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/17415349.2017.1395304
Thank you. No, honestly i didn't check the crop. I didn't see any other internal damage.
Thank you. I needed info on antibiotics. Fish mox. I'll go check

If you cannot find fish mox, you can order it online. You can also get penicillin G procaine in the fridge at tractor supply, that is injected in the breast, so you would need syringes and needles also for that. Usually 20 guage is the smallest I can find at tractor supply. Luer lock is better for penicillin than the luer slip type (the lock twists on and locks, the slip just slides on). Whatever you get, someone here will be able to help you with dosing.

No fish mox. Not much here. Can i give her ampicillin or amoxicillin? Human version. Adjusting dose, of course. I have those.

Here it's all injectables and terramycin I'd have to crush.
Duramycin and oxytetracylcine are the injectable options here. Maybe they can be used other ways. I dont know.

Back
Top Bottom