Hens squatting for me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllenInTampa, Feb 27, 2012.

1. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    I've had my hens now about 2 months(7 of them, varying from 8-12 months old/all laying). I have rarely been able to touch them. When I feed them, clean coop and run, or give treats I try to pet them, they just putt and run away. A few days ago, one or two of them started squatting when I walk in the pen and let me pet them. Now pretty much all of them will squat and allow me to pet them. Matter of fact, a couple walk up to me and squat.

I am the primary caretaker of the hens so I am the person they see 99.9% of the time. Is this normal behavior for them to do this for their "master"?

2. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    None of mine do that to ANYONE!![​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You've been elevated in the pecking order to head rooster. It happens.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Spring is arriving, hormones are raging, and you are the object of their desire. [​IMG]

5. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

Hens do that when they want to mate. If you don't have a rooster, the hens will start squatting when you come around them. Hens will also squat during mating.

~AnnElise

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

This is submissive behavior, which they would do for their rooster so he could mount them.

Don't you feel special? :D

I give my girls who squat a quick skritch between their shoulder blades, another at the base of their tail feathers, then a pat in the middle of their backs, saying "Good girl!"

They will then stand up and shake their feathers, which is an instinctual response and a behavior which moves the rooster's sperm up into thier bodies. I prefer to think they're just trying to get rid of the "bed feathers" look. ;)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  7. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    My Golden Comets will do that sometimes also. I usually see it when I'm stepping around them really closely. I thought they were just flinching and not wanting to be stepped on by the much larger creature!

8. AllenInTampa

AllenInTampa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2012
    Thanks, I think....I was afraid that yall would tell me my chickens were hot to trot for me[​IMG]

9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

but isn't it nice to be right? :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  10. JenellYB

JenellYB Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol! I've always just thought that was normal chicken behavior, mine have always done that! I've always though it good since all I'd have to do if i wanted to pick a certain one up was kinda home in on her and she'd do that, making it easy to pick her up. Now i find out its just because they think I'm the dominant rooster????

Actually that just came up in Beekissed's 'Old Timers wisdom" thread, as maybe not so good to encourage since it could make them vulnerable to predator attack.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by