Hens still not laying

Daddoo

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
Western Washington
6 of my 9 month old hens stopped laying when one of my hens went broody and is now raising chicks in coop. Could mamma raising chicks in coop along with her being broody really keep them on egg strike?? Western Washington

4 weeks now no eggs from 6 of my hens. (Olive Eggers and crested cream hens)

7 other hens still laying regularly.

6 of my 9 month old hens stopped laying when one of my hens went broody and is now raising chicks in coop. Could mamma raising chicks in coop along with her being broody really keep them on egg strike?? Western Washington

4 weeks now no eggs from 6 of my hens. (Olive Eggers and crested cream hens)

7 other hens still laying regularly.

You really never know with chickens! :lau

Could they be going through a molt?​

Could mamma raising chicks in coop along with her being broody really keep them on egg strike??
Maybe.
How big in feet by feet is your coop?
How many nests?
Dimensions and pics(inside and out) of coop would help immensely here.
Do your birds free range?

Could mamma raising chicks in coop along with her being broody really keep them on egg strike??

I have never experienced that, though with living animals you should never say never. Still, I'd be very surprised if that would cause any pullets or hens to stop laying.

4 weeks now no eggs from 6 of my hens. (Olive Eggers and crested cream hens) 7 other hens still laying regularly.

The main reason they stop laying is the molt. While many pullets skip the molt their first fall/winter and keep laying (though often somewhat reduced) it is possible for them to molt. Are you seeing feathers floating around? Some chickens molt quickly and can have bare spots but others molt so slowly you can't tell they are molting just by looking at them. Extra feathers flying around is often the best way.

Another common reason is that they are hiding a nest from you. They can be pretty clever at hiding so you might need to do a good search. If they are ranging you might keep them locked in the coop or coop/run for a couple of days to see if you start seeing eggs.

I assume you can tell it is those six not laying by egg color? Or is it some other way? Most critters that eat eggs will generally leave some evidence behind, egg shells or a wet mess. Snakes and canines like fox, coyote, or dogs will eat them whole but will not discriminate by shell color. The only critter that I can think of that might discriminate by color is a human. It's unlikely they would be consistent for four weeks.

It's possible one can stop laying for no known reason. If they have not been laying for four weeks you can check to see if they are really laying by looking at the vent. If the vent is small and dry they are not laying. If it is large and moist they are. The difference is pretty obvious once you see it. And you have others that are laying to compare.

Coop is 5x12 floor with 30x35ish run top netted, 4 nesting boxes 24 feet of roosting bars.

No signs of predators in coop fort Knox closed up nightly.

There are feathers in coop wether it's more or less not sure.

Color of eggs is olive and blue of the 6 nonn layers.

Their still very active birds free range 4-5hrs in afternoons. Locked them in run for 3 day still no eggs anywhere:(.

Attachments

• 20190928_072907.jpg
    20190928_072907.jpg
    436.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20190928_072534.jpg
    20190928_072534.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190928_072548.jpg
    20190928_072548.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 5
Funny thing is I built this coop bigger with 24 feet roosting area originally7 nesting boxes etc. But my 14 bird's only use about 7 feet of the roost and 2 nesting boxes and never hang out in the coop, besides to sleep

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom