Hens stopped laying after neighbors dog killed one

mc26

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2023
I had 4 Easter eggers that were each laying an egg almost every single day. a couple weeks ago a neighbors dog killed one of them, since then the remaining 3 haven’t laid a single egg. Is this normal? Are they just traumatized?

Yes, they can be traumatised, stressed and possibly even mourn if something like that is happening. It often takes a week or maybe a few weeks to get over it. But not many weeks.
Not laying is not a very obvious result of such an experience.

Many hens stop laying in autumn. Shorter day length and moulting is the cause that many hens stop laying this time of the year. It depends on the breed and individual if and when they stop and when they start to lay again. Many hens start laying again in February or March.

Yes, they can be traumatised, stressed and possibly even mourn if something like that is happening. It often takes a week or maybe a few weeks to get over it. But not many weeks.
Not laying is not a very obvious result of such an experience.

Many hens stop laying in autumn. Shorter day length and moulting is the cause that many hens stop laying this time of the year. It depends on the breed and individual if and when they stop and when they start to lay again. Many hens start laying again in February or March.
That’s true. It’s probably both, the same thing happened to me and later that day one of my Brahmas got a heart attack from the trauma and they didn’t lay any eggs for a few days. Also they’re moulting, I have 24 chickens, 5 of them are roosters and others are hens. I’m lucky if i get 4 eggs a day, some days I get none, some days I get only one, but the most I get is six, if I get six eggs one day, then the next I’ll get one or two.

I only used electrolyte water once for a chick that hatched later and was very weak. To give a little extra energy. The recipe I used:
1/2 Cup Water
1 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (acv)
Pinch of Sea salt

The next recipe is more commonly used. I have been reading you can use electrolyte water against shock.
Try giving her some electrolyte water and maybe add in a little apple cider vinegar. Here's a recipe-
1 Cup Water
2 tsp. Sugar
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking soda
Are your hens eating and drinking normal?

Back
Top Bottom