Hens wanting to hatch eggs no rooster, what to do? Please help!

15shenyl

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Yakima Washington
i have a 7 month hen who has been laying sence 5 months and has neve done this.
She is trying to hatch the eggs all my hens lay. She rolls eggs from other boxes to hers. She screeches and attacks me. She is not like this. She is a speachael needs chicken and is the sweetest thing in the world. What can I do to make her stop.
Even if I somehow take the eggs, she sits there and won't move. She has been in the same box for a week now, she has only eaten once when I brought her food. What can I do?

I have a broody hen about the same age too, almost 4 weeks she's been doing this except taking eggs from other boxes. She'll go into another box that already has eggs. I'm sure your hen goes and eats/ drinks and you aren't seeing her. Mine is still alive after all this time! Once in awhile I'll bring her a treat or put her out in the pen but she won't stay out long. Our winters are too cold or I'd let her hatch a few
jumpy.gif

I would let her hatch too, just to get this over with. My hen sounds just like yours, steeling the other hens eggs. She is very mentally challenged, she had very sever heat strokes as a chick, it left her brain damaged. She had at least 2 each day for a week. She wasn't even under a lamp after the first two.
I got back from caring for her, she almost died. I let her sit for the last two days thinking she would be fine. She wasn't. She was half way gone. She couldn't stand and was very thirsty. I dropped water through a eye dropper. After giving her water, a few hours later, she could stand a little. I gave her scrambled eggs with cheese and egg shell. Also gave her Yogurt and tomatoes. She stayed in the house all day. Spoiled little thing. It doesn't help she is very under weight and doesn't gain any weight. The dumb hen goes back out after I put her back and goes and sits in the box again.
I just don't know what to do. Is there even anything to do?

Another hen decided she wanted to follow the other and wants to hatch eggs too. Should I get a few hatching eggs and let them hatch them. Or get a few cheep chicks and let them raise them? Or do I leave them alone and makevthem get up every once and a while? Please help!

Back
Top Bottom