Hens With Naked Butts

If they are not molting could the other reason be mites? I will check vents and under wings in the AM. Surely I will be able to see the mites on those black chickens if mites are the problem:) Some of them have been naked for a month or more. I am just worried about them. They have become like children.

Just my opinion. If you think your hens are starting to molt. I add some vitamin to their water once a week. We then increase their protien intake. If they are molting they will start using their protien intake for refeathering causing drop in egg production. Just my opinion though

You might have mites also but im positive by their age they are molting. Ill see if i can get a picture of ours that hatched last spring and post it for you

Well im not having luck uploading picture. Google molting chickens images. They have alot of pictures that look just like yours. Good luck

Thank you everyone!!! I will look at my girls closely tomm and check for mites. If they are molting how long will it be before they are growing feathers in the "naked area?" Also how long do they go through the "molting phase?"

In a full molt, the feathers start dropping at the head/neck area and proceed down the body. At around 9 months, chickens will go through a partial molt. This varies from chicken to chicken. Often they simply look a bit scraggly, and you see an increase in the number of feathers on the ground. I would guess what you have is lice/mites and/or feather picking. To see fully bare spots on several birds is not typical of a partial or full molt.

You may have to check them at night with help to see bugs or eggs; they are tiny, and some are only on the birds at night. Sevin 5% garden dust is the most effective. You can use Sevin liquid on the coop in places like under the roosts or where there are cracks.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

They say chickens can molt a period of one to four months. Depends ,as young as yours are i would say they probably wont fully molt. So a month maybe. Mine started a month ago and are starting to come out of it. I do believe that the thread i posted earlier about the feed does help.

Oh dear, the thought of lice/mites scare me!!!!!! So if I go check them at night for the bugs I should be able to see them? If they do have mites/lice what is the most affective and quick treatment to get them comfortable again???

We treat our coop with seven. Spray coop down with liquid seven water mix. Sprinkle seven dust on floor with your bedding. Also sprinkle some in where they dust bathe. Be sure to give you ladies and gent a place to dust bathe ie a sand box or something like wit sawdust dry dirt ect. This will let your hens rid themselves of mites

Back
Top Bottom