Hens won't eat oyster shell, How to feed it?

I did not see your answer when someone asked if the chickens could be eating the OS you feed to the ducks?

I have been separating my ducks form my chickens since I had a broody about 3 months ago. SO they have no way to get into there pen and eat there OS.
You can try sprinkling a little feed or scratch onto the oyster shells to get them interested in the container

I will try a new, brightly colored container,ans see if that gets there attention. I will also out some of there feed onto of the Os, to see if that helps. :)
Do check with your feed store about Pacific Pearl brand oyster shell. I swear by it.
I will get ahold of this. I acutely saw this when I was being OS, and almost bought it rather then the other kind, but since it ws pearled, I didn't because it didn't look the same, Lol! :D

So the other thing, I keep seeing you guy mentioning scratch? I have never fed it or heard of it, is it something I should be feeding, or an additional treat?

Scratch is a mixture of grains--usually cracked corn plus whole oats or barley or wheat or a mixture. It's a fine source of calories, but does not have enough protein or the right balance of other nutrients to be a complete chicken feed.

It's called "scratch" because it usually gets sprinkled on the ground or in the bedding, where the chickens scratch to find it.

Chickens can do just fine without scratch. But people enjoy feeding it, and the chickens enjoy eating it. A small amount sprinkled in the bedding of the coop or run can cause the chickens to get a lot of exercise digging it up to eat.

Too much scratch causes problems: fat chickens, chickens who don't get enough protein and vitamins and minerals, chickens who refuse to eat their normal chicken food (they just act starved until the worried owner brings more scratch.)

Scratch is a mixture of grains--usually cracked corn plus whole oats or barley or wheat or a mixture. It's a fine source of calories, but does not have enough protein or the right balance of other nutrients to be a complete chicken feed.

It's called "scratch" because it usually gets sprinkled on the ground or in the bedding, where the chickens scratch to find it.

Chickens can do just fine without scratch. But people enjoy feeding it, and the chickens enjoy eating it. A small amount sprinkled in the bedding of the coop or run can cause the chickens to get a lot of exercise digging it up to eat.

Too much scratch causes problems: fat chickens, chickens who don't get enough protein and vitamins and minerals, chickens who refuse to eat their normal chicken food (they just act starved until the worried owner brings more scratch.)
Makes sense, I will feed realistically, and with a good, nutrient rich feed. Thanks for he info!

I changed the link, it should work this time! :D

Yes, it does.

Found this scratch! What do you guys think, it looks really nutricouse, and full of protein, and calcium! It think I will buy it! We are alway try to feed protein rich additions with plenty of protein because we feed table scraps and don't want hem to get a protein deficiency.

That scratch has 15% protein.
Recommended protein level for laying hens is 15%-20%, depending on what source you consult.
It's certainly got more protein than many other kinds of scratch grains, but I would not call it "full of protein."

It's got less than half a percent calcium--so it won't hurt chicks, but it's not a useful calcium supplement for laying hens.

Personally, I think it's badly overpriced for what you get, but I think that about many other chicken treats too.

For many kinds of chicken treats, they like to brag on the front about their wonderful protein-rich and calcium-rich ingredients, but when you check the nutrition facts on the back, the total mix is usually low-protein and low-calcium.

If you just want a protein supplement, try turkey or gamebird starter. It seems to range between 24% protein and 30% protein, depending on the brand. (How to serve it without wastage? Just add water, and they'll eat every crumb instead of throwing bits around.)

Back
Top Bottom