hens wont go in the hen house at night

seyelephant60

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 20, 2010
so about a week ago the hens stopped going in the hen house at night when it gets dark. we have the light on a timer that comes on before the sun goes down, but it's like the forgot how to do it. they go in there to lay eggs and eat everyday. what to do? any thoughts? oh yeah we have to go out at night and lead them in with a flash light and they have no problem then. please help....

Turn the light off?
hu.gif

This happened to me last night. I let the girls out around 4 to range the yard and my alarm goes off at 7 to go close the coop door & lock up the run. I always check & make sure they're in. Last night I went out a bit early 'cause it was already dark, shone the light in the coop & no chickens. After a 15 minute stroll around the yard flashing the light up in the trees and under the bushes I found both of them roosting on the privacy fence snugged up against the house. It was easy to scoop Sister (EE) up and plop her in the coop. Had to get the net to scoop up Polish.

And then when I went to let them out this AM, a little later than usual, they wouldn't come out of the coop for love nor chicken scratch! Go figure! I wonder what the time change next week is going to do to them?

Back
Top Bottom