1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by viper125, Sep 19, 2014.

1. viper125

viper125 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    Salem,Ohio
    My hens are around 2 - 2.5 years old. Still producing well. But our extra large eggs aren't often any more. In fact half of them are extra small. I know production drops in hens. But size of their eggs? Haven't seen this before. Changed them from Granulated feed first of the summer, And added 5 more hens in July. Believe thats the only changes we made. Any one have any ideas why size would drop.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Could it be the elder ones are not eating as much with the feed change or laying less and the extra small eggs are from the newbies?

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Are the new ones laying? If they are pullets those small eggs may be theirs.

4. viper125

Feb 3, 2013
    Salem,Ohio
    No its a mix of colors.new ones are all white. Really seem to go through a lot of feed still.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    If your feed is layer, it should have enough calcium, let us know how tomorrow's eggs are.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did the change in feed or introducing new hens coincide with the change in egg size?

What are the protein levels of the new vs the old feed?

I don't remember reading much about egg size changing with age either...hmmmmm.

7. viper125

Feb 3, 2013
    Salem,Ohio
    Sorry so late getting back. Health issues and some family problems with dads death. Still getting some small eggs but not many now. Not sure what happened really. Just seemed weird they'd change like that.

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Could have been the stress.

It affects chickens as well as humans...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by