Hep please

Chickenboss69

Hatching
May 4, 2020
so I know this sounds crazy but I am on day 20 on incubating my duck eggs there breed is Pekin and before I put them in the incubator I kept them outside which is in 40 to 50 degree weather and there hatching today 8 days early one of them has already broken through the egg shell but he hasn't gotten out yet he's chirping but he's taking a little bit of a break now is that normal will they survive I have about five of them that want to hatch today.
this is the picture of incubator that I used that I got from Tractor Supply

Attachments

• 16116692378735552112886086845253.jpg
    16116692378735552112886086845253.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 14
This is really early and the chick shouldn't be fully developed yet. My understanding is the leg bones and such aren't fully developed so I'd have a hard time to believe the chick would be able to fully hatch at this stage. My guess is it will not survive. At this point I do not believe even the eyes are fully developed. Do you have any pictures of the chick? It should look like an alien at this point still.

No I don’t have any pictures of it because it hasn’t gone out yet but it’s chirping a lot it’s also a duck I don’t know if you miss read my paragraph not trying to sound mean I just didn’t know if you knew

There is a lot of condensation buildup on the incubator window which indicates your humidity is way too high. Do you have a hydrometer? If they are near lockdown, aim for 70% humidity. Waterfowl are slow hatchers, from external pip to zip it can take 48 hours or more.

No I don’t have any pictures of it because it hasn’t gone out yet but it’s chirping a lot it’s also a duck I don’t know if you miss read my paragraph not trying to sound mean I just didn’t know if you knew

Yes I am aware, if it was a chick it wouldn't be an issue. You're talking duck egg which you're talking is coming 8 days early. While that's not a lot of time for people that's catastrophically soon to an animal with an incubation period of 28 days. If this bird really is hatching that early it cannot be developed enough to survive.

Now if you miscounted, or it started incubating sooner (like a window or something), ect that's a whole different story. That's why I was asking for photos. It'll be very clear in photos whether it was truly a "preemie" duckling or if something happened causing your days to be off.

Back
Top Bottom