HER 1ST EGG>>>>BUT WHAT IS SHE???

Comb is wrong for both "sultans." All the birds appear to be mixes, although the sultan cockerel is closest to what he should be.

n most cases I do not think people are trying to mislead newbies; they simply do not know themselves. Now is someone listed them as SQ purebreds, that would be aother matter. The vast majority of backyard chicken owners simply have their birds for eggs and/or meat.

Comb is wrong for both "sultans."  All the birds appear to be mixes, although the sultan cockerel is closest to what he should be.  

n most cases I do not think people are trying to mislead newbies; they simply do not know themselves.  Now is someone listed them as SQ purebreds, that would be aother matter.  The vast majority of backyard chicken owners simply have their birds for eggs and/or meat.
:thumbsup

I guarantee genders in everything but silkies. If I sell them a girl, and it turns out to be a boy - I give them a free girl. I just know how I would feel in the situation, and others have done the same for me.

So many people sell cockerels as pullets, and there are some that definitely know it as well.

Agreed. I guess that my first dealings with someone that called themselves a breeder left me somewhat jaded. I know that many white feather footed roo's and hens are matched up and become a "sultan" pair or "cochin", even a "polish" pair. The term "show quality" was used. I would love to learn and grow and become a breeder, and would want to be proud of the birds that I raised, knowing that that line of birds you had been working on for so long must bring a sense of pride. When you use "show quality" to someone that tells you they are starting out, of course the consumer is going to get stars in ther eyes and dreams of all the little chicks that will come after. I only say this because I saw it first hand. Alot of it was what I wanted to see and hear, being able to read someone and sense what they want to hear is not a diplorable thing. In some businesses, that trait is an asset. Breeding also being a business, don't you want repeat customers? I would think that return customers are what you want, they bring their friends.

Agreed. I guess that my first dealings with someone that called themselves a breeder left me somewhat jaded. I know that many white feather footed roo's and hens are matched up and become a "sultan" pair or "cochin", even a "polish" pair. The term "show quality" was used. I would love to learn and grow and become a breeder, and would want to be proud of the birds that I raised, knowing that that line of birds you had been working on for so long must bring a sense of pride. When you use "show quality" to someone that tells you they are starting out, of course the consumer is going to get stars in ther eyes and dreams of all the little chicks that will come after. I only say this because I saw it first hand. Alot of it was what I wanted to see and hear, being able to read someone and sense what they want to hear is not a diplorable thing. In some businesses, that trait is an asset. Breeding also being a business, don't you want repeat customers? I would think that return customers are what you want, they bring their friends.
That is exactly what you want.

I strive to make a good name for myself. I want to be trustworthy and respected.

When I sold my first chicks, I could have easily claimed they were barred rock, even though they were barred rock crosses. No way was I going to do that. I let them know exactly what they had in their makeup. I have nothing to hide. Most people just want a pretty hen or pullet. Doesn't always matter what they have in them.

When I sold some of my sizzles, I let them know they are 1st generation in my project. It's only fair.

I will say that in the end, if someone wants to become a breeder I would think that it would be for the love of the breed or breeds. In the end, it was my first Silkie has made me want to look further into the aspect of breeding.
To me, truthfuness, respect and pride are all things that a breeder should be.
If I bought a first gen of a bird that someone was trying to perfect, I think that it would be pretty neat to own one of the birds and would gladly buy later generations. That is also my personal preference and I have the space to do it. Ithink it would be pretty neat, knowing your bird is the start of something new.
To me breeding is also art in another form, and the birds are ones masterpiece.

Agreed! Most people are looking for a pretty pullet and are content with that. I want to take it to another set and learn all there is to know about breeding. I know my Silkie isn't SQ, and my other Silkies, I rescued. It was there loving temprament that won me over.
But I am wondering if my Purr is a pullet or cockrel.....( I got Purr at a week old, I was told she was going to be a hen, but) Regardless Purr is the reason for my growing curiosity into the world of Silkies.

I will say that in the end, if someone wants to become a breeder I would think that it would be for the love of the breed or breeds. In the end, it was my first Silkie has made me want to look further into the aspect of breeding. 
To me, truthfuness, respect and pride are all things that a breeder should be.
If I bought a first gen of a bird that someone was trying to perfect, I think that it would be pretty neat to own one of the birds and would gladly buy later generations. That is also my personal preference and I have the space to do it.  Ithink it would be pretty neat, knowing your bird is the start of something new. 
To me breeding is also art in another form, and the birds are ones masterpiece. 

Agreed! Most people are looking for a pretty pullet and are content with that. I want to take it to another set and learn all there is to know about breeding. I know my Silkie isn't SQ, and my other Silkies, I rescued. It was there loving temprament that won me over. 
But I am wondering if my Purr is a pullet or cockrel.....( I got Purr at a week old, I was told she was going to be a hen, but) Regardless Purr is the reason for my growing curiosity into the world of Silkies.
:thumbsup

Anyone that tells you they sexed a silkie at a week old is lying. They are nearly impossible to sex before at least week 4, and a lot are not able to be sexed until almost 4-5 months. I don't even think the hatcheries sex silkies, and they have professional vent sexers on staff.

I have feelings about gender on silkies early enough in their life, but that has not proven successful most times :p

How old is Purr?

14-15 weeks. I am uploading a new pic of Purr, I could just go out into the coop and take another pic.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom