I tried to research it when we rescued Danielle, but I didn’t understand anything and then she (Danielle) started thriving when we brought her Fiona so we assumed it was the companionship and the food Fiona came with (former owner gave us a bag). So we kept buying it. I will change it for sure! Any brand suggestion?
There's lots of good feeds, you want one with at least 17% protein (I feed 18%), 3% Calcium. I feed whateverI can get my hands on, nutrena egg producer, country companion hi pro layer, gamebird layer etc.
I don’t want to sound dumb but could y’all tell me what to ask my vet for in the morning?? B-12 injection?

And also could you recommend good foods that I can buy (even if I have to mix different foods)? Preferably things I can get from Tractor Supply since there’s one very close to me. But I can also order online.
You can get the vitamins in the grocery store, no need to get the vet involved.

There's lots of good feeds, you want one with at least 17% protein (I feed 18%), 3% Calcium. I feed whateverI can get my hands on, nutrena egg producer, country companion hi pro layer, gamebird layer etc.

You can get the vitamins in the grocery store, no need to get the vet involved.
We have been giving her liquid Poultry Cell regularly over the last two weeks, wouldn’t that have taken care of the carences? I do admit that we didn’t give it to her every day though. This whole thing has been a bit overwhelming. Especially learning to tube-feed. I cried the first time we did that.

We have been giving her liquid Poultry Cell regularly over the last two weeks, wouldn’t that have taken care of the carences? I do admit that we didn’t give it to her every day though. This whole thing has been a bit overwhelming. Especially learning to tube-feed. I cried the first time we did that.
It's not concentrated enough, she has a severe deficiency. It will be ok.

We got the liquid Poultry Cell as soon as she got sick. She’s been getting it regularly over the last two weeks but I guess it wasn’t enough. :hmm
It will be a good supplement when used with a balanced diet. I usually mix it in water and then mix feed in. I use it about 2 to 3 times a week when I have a weak chick.
It takes a while to get them over a vitamin deficiency. I think you are doing a great job.

Vitamin B is water soluble and very safe - don’t worry about overdosing.
They need it every day and in high doses when they are deficient.
It also degrades rapidly so if feed is old it’s vitamin B will have degraded.
Vitamin B complex is readily available at pharmacies and grocery stores. Liquids, capsules are both available.
I had a chick that lost the use of her legs and I ended up giving her human doses for a month or so.
I gave it in mash. It is yellow and she seemed to even like the yellow mash better than the parts where I didn’t mix it in well.

For severe deficiencies, injectable is best to start.
There's no one 'best' feed, it depends on what's available and fresh where you can shop.
Here it's Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein, and then separate oyster shell for actively laying hens. I have used a 18% to 20% protein chick feed if the FR is unavailable, or not fresh enough.
And never a 'whole grain' diet! If you go to one of those diets, dampening or wetting it down helps get the birds to eat it, and the vitamin/mineral mix, which is powder, to also be eaten. Just another thing to do out there, not worth it for me.
Mary

We’re buying Purina Flock Raiser Today. We already have the oyster shell bag.

A while ago I found a bunch of earth worms in a spot in my driveway (under an old towel I had tossed out after caring for a cat and hadn’t touched for a couple of months, I ended up trashing it) and I gave them to Danielle and Fiona. Danielle (my hen rescued from the street and who doesn’t seem to be a particular breed) loved them but Fiona walked away even after we held Danielle away in case she wasn’t letting Fiona have any. I’m wondering if this ability to eat worms and little critters is why Danielle is still doing so well despite the poor quality food.

Last edited:
B-2 and B-12 deficiencies can cause that. If you're up for another vet visit, you might be able to get a big injectable dose for her. If she's willing to be held, it might help speed recovery to play with and move her legs and toes about within their normal comfortable range-of-motion.
I had a hen doing the same thing and I read on here about the B vitamin deficiency. I bought some B complex liquid put it in her water and within a day she was better and in 3 days back to normal.

I replied with a picture of the label but it’s awaiting mod approval. However I have no idea what you mean by “scratch is not feed”. I would feel awful if it turns out I was feeding her something not nutritious enough.
Scratch is not to be used as a primary feed, it’s just a supplement type of grain, given out more as a treat than feed. Also, look into getting a feed that has at least 16%, even better, a 17% protein as it’s first ingredient. That 15%, in my opinion, is low. Regards.

Back
Top Bottom