Her little vent was incredibly blocked, now swollen - pic included

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dulcimer lady, Nov 10, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

Ok, the picture is the "after." She had such a horrible blockage and two *huge* globs of poop stuck to her hind end, one of them blocking a good bit of her vent. I cleaned up the area as best as I could and (hold your nose) poop just poured out of her. After that, I still couldn't get the dried globs off of her and ended up bringing her inside and holding her back end under warm running water in the bathroom. She behaved like an angel the whole time. After I was done I held her in front of a space heater until she dried. She fell asleep.

But her little chicken butt is so raw and sore looking and irritated. I hope she's not blocked up more on the inside, but how can one tell?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Oh my, that redness in the center looks awful. I have an idea--can you use some Preperation H on her? I'll bet that would make her behind feel alot better.......

3. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    That's a good idea - had not thought of that. I wonder if witch hazel would help as well...

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    That looks like a very mild case of a prolapsed vent. Use the prep H and try to get that cherry looking thing back inside her. I lost a frizzled hen to a prolapse [​IMG]

5. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Agreed! Lather her vent in Prep H and she should be fine! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, mild prolapse. Had that on a bantam Cochin once. Prep H and gently push it back inside. May come out again, but push it back in again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by